Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving on the freeway a few weeks ago i was doing about 70mph in the #7 fast lane. Car just completely shuts down. No lights, no power steering, no turn signals, no ignition, no radio ABSOLUTELY NOTHING... Leading up to this it would also die when making left u-turns and would sometimes not start in the morning. But when it died on me as i was driving down the freeway already heading to a family emergency at a local emergency room and i had to cross over 6 lanes to the right to get to the emergency shoulder thats when i really had it with this f'in car. Wouldnt start back up. All the lights and dash worked, radio worked emergency blinkers but when i go to start it all it would do is click. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. All the fuses are good i just dont know what to do. Tomorrow morning im going to try and change the NEGATIVE battery cable like I've read in numerous incident reports. Other than that all i can try is to replace the PCM relay and if it still doesnt work then the ignition. If none of those work.... Well my exceptionally professional style driving wont be there to save the next poor soul this happens to so its off to pick a park cause i dont care if it only has 115xxx miles on it, ill be damned if that ever happens to my mother on the freeway cause it will be disastrous and lethal without a doubt.... Thanks ford. Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've had a somewhat similar issue except for me it was randomly not starting. I would turn the key and all I would hear is clicking and the gauge needles would flutter. I double checked all the grounds and battery/starter connections and checked battery voltage (battery was probably only 2 years old when that started). I kept a 5/16 wrench in the glove box and every time it would happen all I had to do was disconnect the battery, wait a couple minutes and reconnect it and car would start. It would happen every couple of months for about two years until I had to replace the battery one Winter when it got very cold. Haven't had a problem since the battery was replaced. From that experience all I can offer for advice is to check your ground connections at the fender and the firewall, use sandpaper or something to make sure it's a good metal/metal contact. Clean the battery connections on the cables and the battery posts. And finally, don't rule out a bad battery even if the voltage is okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts