Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 126k-mile 2004 Sable wagon has only one (worn) key and the ignition tumbler seems to be a little balky when turning, so I'd like to avoid the situation where I lose the key or the switch locks up. I have the original owner's manual that supposedly has the code for the key pattern.

I could buy a new Motorcraft tumbler and bring it to a locksmith to:
- Match the new tumbler to the old one
- Make 2+ new keys from the factory key code
Then, I might be able to glue the transponder key under the steering column somewhere so I don't have to program keys anymore.

Does this sound like a plan?

· Registered
2004 Taurus SES Duratec
857 Posts
Totally unnecessary to glue the transponder so you don't need to program keys. There are so many options:

1) Clone the key at the key kiosk. They will mail you a cut and programmed chip key
2) Buy chip keys (less than $15 for 2) and program the key yourself with Forscan

In your case, since you want a new ignition lock cylinder, Architect's solution looks good.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware I could program PATS keys myself with Forscan - I think I will get two new keys made, using the factory code if possible, and program 2+ keys.

Then, I could replace the tumbler if a fresh key and possibly some sort of cleaning/lubrication doesn't sort it out. It looks like I could match a new tumbler to my old one so I may not need the dorman kit.

· Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
992 Posts
You're right. The downside is that you need to install Forscan and possibly buy the extended license (but that is a good investment anyway). The upside is that your key still fits the doorlocks, which obviously is not the case with new keys. Also the recoding of a cylinder lock does not look particularly difficult. You do not even need the code (as long as you have the lock disassembled or have an existing key to unlock the cylinder). See for example

It's a doorlock, but I think the principle is the same.

Let us know how you are doing.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered two new Strattec Mercury-logo keys that I'll have cut at a locksmith and will look into programming them with Forscan. I can also get a NOS Ford tumbler for ~$40 that would give me some peace of mind. I'll update the thread once I program keys and/or replace the tumbler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts