Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2004 Sable DOHC V6 has been running rough after it warms up. The problem is intermittent and acts like a bad coil or plug. During an outing, the car will be fine until the engine warms up. Then it starts sputtering (missing) off and on, both while idling and driving. Will be fine then start acting up again. No codes related to this are showing, no chk engine lite. I replaced all the plugs and one of the COP coils last August when I had a similar issue. Then I finally, after many days, got mis-fire code for #6.

Now, today when I was driving and the engine was missing badly, I turned off the AC. The engine immediately quit missing. After I got home, I noticed that the missing happens when the engine is warmed up and the AC is on. When I turn off the AC it runs fine. Anybody run across this before?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Hi all,

My 2004 Sable DOHC V6 has been running rough after it warms up. The problem is intermittent and acts like a bad coil or plug. During an outing, the car will be fine until the engine warms up. Then it starts sputtering (missing) off and on, both while idling and driving. Will be fine then start acting up again. No codes related to this are showing, no chk engine lite. I replaced all the plugs and one of the COP coils last August when I had a similar issue. Then I finally, after many days, got mis-fire code for #6.

Now, today when I was driving and the engine was missing badly, I turned off the AC. The engine immediately quit missing. After I got home, I noticed that the missing happens when the engine is warmed up and the AC is on. When I turn off the AC it runs fine. Anybody run across this before?

Bob
I bought '05 DOHC. Dealer said misfire only when hot. He said he would fix but it would take a few days. He agreed to take $200 off the price if I took it not fixed. I took that. No codes. It was fine for the first 20 miles home but got really bad when we had to detour for a wreck on the interstate. Once on stop and go it was horrible. Once back on the highway at road speed is was minor misfire. I used the code reader and looked at pending codes and it had #3 misfire. JY coil and it has been fine for 1.5 years. Amazing to me how sensitive it was to temperature. I have had coil problems with coilpack but not temperature issue. Best check fuel trims for leak. My '04 DOHC had significant leak in the EGR valve gasket. Long term fuel trim ~+20% at warm idle. It as just rough idle and rpm hunting when A/C engaged. Fixed the leak and it now runs very nice.
-chart-

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi all,

Bob
Yes, on my (ex)wife's '90 Vulcan. Although there was a slight difference, it didn't only do it when the engine was hot, but like you, with the A/C off, it ran fine. Mind, with the A/C on it didn't just miss, it would barely run. Given that with the A/C off, it was fine, I determined that it was either the compressor clutch or the compressor, likely seized up. We never fixed it, we pulled the under-dash fuse for the compressor. She no longer had A/C, but the car would run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts