Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to the 2004 Taurus Owners Manual.

As you can see, there is some changes, some asked about the Instrument Cluster, The revised EATC, Auto-Dim Mirror, or Passenger Airbag Auto Disarm.

Take a look and see.

2004 Taurus Manual

My impressions:

As I had a 04 loaner, the Dash Sucks, it's only a 2 line, not 3 line like the Mercury Monterey minivan (dash is same except for message center) very useless compared to the GEN 2 Sable LS dashes. Only DTE, and AVG FUEL ECON WORTH HAVING.

The Compass has been removed from the Mirror, and the Outside Temp has been removed from the EATC controls, guess where they are at? The Dash, and you have to fenagle with it to get to them.

The EATC now has a Recirc Button, but has lost the outside temp. Wow, I can now put it in "RECIRC" for BI-level.... Whoopty S**T. Now I have to play with the dash the dash to see the the temp.

Oh yea, you can no longer display the compass and outside temp at the same time anymore.

And lets not forget that they did away with the low fuel light, now it says "low Fuel level, can be reset or inhibited by other warnings like "DOOR AJAR", or the parking brake, all of us know what the little yellow fuel pump means, it's just a reminder that is now gone.

And the Airbag sensor system. Some vehicles have disarm switches, this one is automatic based on height or weight. There is no manual switch. Why??
Keep in mind, it resets after each ignition cycle, just like a switches does on other cars.

And my last rant and rave the "PARK BRAKE ENGAGED" message can't be cleared, even if you hit reset, then is says RELEASE PARK BRAKE. So if all you wanted to do is check the mileage, you need to release the parking brake.

WTF!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And don't forget that Steering Wheel, I will take a Gen 2, Gen 3 or 00-03 Gen 4 Any Day over that design, you can't get comfortable.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
And I saw an '04 the other day with it's turn signal on. It doesn't have orange turn signals. It's a lense redesign and it appears to use the same circuitry as previous versions (monochromatic red brake/turn/park combo lights).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back to that dash.......

I believe on all the Gens of Bull's, there was a button on the EATC to check the Outside Temp.

The new procedure is to Push and hold the INFO button for 2 seconds, and then select Compass/Temp from the menu.

WTF is this all about? As mentioned before, you can no longer see what direction you are heading or what the outside temp is at the same time.

There is no indication of how to check if you didn't know. At least with the 2000-2003 models you could figure out to push the compass button, or the Outside temp Button on the EATC, it was self explanatory.

This new one just plain sucks!!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have an over-head display on the Explorer that has the compass and temperature display. Does the Taurus not do something like this?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An overhead would be a great idea, but no, it's all in the dash. God that thing sucks. No markings or indications whatsoever. You have to play with all of the functions just to try to figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts