Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus, And like the title says, it idles rough, And stalls when idling (everytime)

I know of 3 possible causes,
PCV valve or PCV vacuum line, Intake manifold gaskets, EGR valve.

Are there any other parts could be causing this problem

Thank You

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus, And like the title says, it idles rough, And stalls when idling (everytime)

I know of 3 possible causes,
PCV valve or PCV vacuum line, Intake manifold gaskets, EGR valve.

Are there any other parts could be causing this problem

Thank You
I just wanted to add to my post that the other than the problems listed above the car runs great when driving the car you can't even tell that anything is wrong with it until you come to a stop And it stalls, And it does start right backup instantly

·
Super Moderator
8,502 Posts
Use a scan tool that shows PIDs and look at the long term fuel trims on both banks. High positive trims (over 10% to 15%) at idle that drop toward zero under load indicates a vacuum leak.

Reactions: mustang dude

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
133 Posts
No codes? Also check Idle Air Control Valve. I personally would start there, an had my problems with it in that engine (in case you need to replace it, you MUST buy a motorcraft, not an aftermarket, which don't work most of the time). Inspect vacuum hoses visually, use carb cleaner to spray around the intake manifold to check for vacuum leaks. There should be a code, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to add to my post that the other than the problems listed above the car runs great when driving the car you can't even tell that anything is wrong with it until you come to a stop And it stalls, And it does start right backup instantly
mine did the same thing and its a 2005, and it was an o-ring, like $2.50 part. My mechanic replaced it for me and it was expensive for how mucht he part was. Fixed it completely tho.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No codes? Also check Idle Air Control Valve. I personally would start there, an had my problems with it in that engine (in case you need to replace it, you MUST buy a motorcraft, not an aftermarket, which don't work most of the time). Inspect vacuum hoses visually, use carb cleaner to spray around the intake manifold to check for vacuum leaks. There should be a code, though.
i had a bad iac code ,my car is 97 sable dohc, i bought my IAC valve at autozone duralast brand ,, it had high idle when cold start,,,, it was like 40 degrees outside , the idle was so high at a stop light i had to hold the brakes so hard so it would not hit the car in front of me, i went home took the iac back
to autozone put the original motorcraft back on orderd a new mortorcraft iac valve ,,it solved my problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts