Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car runs well with the exception of lunging once in a while and issues with the gas cap light now and then and it seems like a loss of power but that may be my imagination. CEL came on, went to Autozone and got P0442 as the error. They rec replacing the EVAP canister vent solenoid. I have read that it can throw that code for a faulty gas cap and a few other things. My question is where should I start? I have almost no money to spend but I have a couple friends that can help me with DIY work. Should I go ahead and replace the solenoid or start smaller with a new gas cap? Also, this car is getting three people to and from work but if it is going to cause damage I will stop driving until this is sorted. Is it necessary to park it until I get this done? I really appreciate any tips or ideas. I'm always so surprised by how knowledgeable and kind everyone is here.

·
Administrator
15,431 Posts
A P0442 code gets set when the car does a self test. The PCM pulls vacuum on the EVAP system then checks it against a preset level for rate of pressure rise. The P0442 indicates a small leak so before you spend a dime do a visual inspection. What do the vac lines at the solenoid look like, any dry rot? What do the mating surfaces of the filler neck and cap look like? Anything that might prevent a good seal? A rust pin hole in the neck? Loose or missing clamp? The vent line okay? More often than not it's isn't the solenoid or the cap but rust or a bad line that's the culprit.

I'm always so surprised by how knowledgeable and kind everyone is here.
Don't give us more credit than we deserve on that count. IRL many of us are jerks, it's only because we're all afraid of @sheila that we're 'nice' here. :sneaky:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A P0442 code gets set when the car does a self test. The PCM pulls vacuum on the EVAP system then checks it against a preset level for rate of pressure rise. The P0442 indicates a small leak so before you spend a dime do a visual inspection. What do the vac lines at the solenoid look like, any dry rot? What do the mating surfaces of the filler neck and cap look like? Anything that might prevent a good seal? A rust pin hole in the neck? Loose or missing clamp? The vent line okay? More often than not it's isn't the solenoid or the cap but rust or a bad line that's the culprit.

Don't give us more credit than we deserve on that count. IRL many of us are jerks, it's only because we're all afraid of @sheila that we're 'nice' here. :sneaky:
Thank you for the info. I'm gonna start with a visual and go from there. Hopefully it ends up being a fairly obvious issue. Also....thank you Sheila!

·
Registered
11,503 Posts

Good call, adding an example. Pic where the plastic insert broke and some of the seal area missing. I used JB weld and filled it in for a temp get by fix. 9 year old car. Code for small leak.
Any issue, do the easy first, and use the eyes.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it on ramps and didn't see anything so I checked the gas cap area, looked a little worn so I bought a replacement and the CEL turned off! Fingers crossed that was the issue. While I was under the car I notices that my tires are beyond bald so all my nonexistent funds are needed to replace tires. Sigh...Could be worse and again so grateful to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Got it on ramps and didn't see anything so I checked the gas cap area, looked a little worn so I bought a replacement and the CEL turned off! Fingers crossed that was the issue. While I was under the car I notices that my tires are beyond bald so all my nonexistent funds are needed to replace tires. Sigh...Could be worse and again so grateful to everyone for the help!
If you are where you can get to a JY. In the pic. These $30 per. If they have 4 of a set they cost more.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our local pick -n-pull has a tire rack in their lobby, no need to even go searching.
Headed there very soon. I was right to worry, had a tire blow out an hour ago! I'm a bit concerned tho. Everyone keeps saying that buying one tire could damage the car...So I'm not sure if I should replace the one or park it till payday when I can replace them all...? Anyone else heard this? I'm a nervous wreck now and don't trust my own judgment!

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Headed there very soon. I was right to worry, had a tire blow out an hour ago! I'm a bit concerned tho. Everyone keeps saying that buying one tire could damage the car...So I'm not sure if I should replace the one or park it till payday when I can replace them all...? Anyone else heard this? I'm a nervous wreck now and don't trust my own judgment!
4 wheel drive needs matched tires. Your bull does not care as long as the tires are all the same size.
-chart-

·
Registered
205 Posts
on 2wd, i prefer to replace in matched pairs, particularly on the fronts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts