Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2004 dohc ses

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
I am posting this for my sister. She has been having a ruff idle and stalls. The car won't go over 20mph and eventually stalls out.

Codes were saying an ignition coil was bad so we replaced all 6 along with the plugs(not Bosch) and it is still saying that the coil is bad. Went a head and tested them and they all turned out fine, along with the old ones..... at a loss and short on money so any help to narrow it down to one or to parts would be good...

#5 · (Edited)
how would i find out what engine type she has? since it's a DOHC wouldn't be a Duratec motor and the mileage is about 115k. Will update about the code.. her boyfriend has it written down. I know the code is E and/or F not sure of the numbers.

#13 · (Edited)
DOHC is a duratec.

Ah, I don't know what the boyfriend wrote down, but those are referring to p0350 codes. p0351-6 (for the Taurus), Ignition Circuit Failure.

0351 will read Ignition Coil Circuit Failure A, 2 = B, 3 = C, etc. The codes are probably p0354, p0355 and p0356. Since those are all relating to the rear bank of cylinders and that the car has only 115k on it, I am going to assume the coils are fine. However, since you say it wont really go past 20 mph, I suspect that it really is only firing on three cylinders. That leads me to my answer here.

I am going out on a limb here, I am going to suggest that the ground for the rear bank of coils is disconnected. It's really weird to have all three coils go bad on one side, or to have a break in all three wires, however, the one thing a bank does share is a ground. Look for any unplugged wires and put them back on and see if that works. I'm willing to bet you'll be okay for free.

#8 ·
What are the specific code numbers you are receiving on the reader.

#11 ·
Call up the local AutoZone/Napa/OReilleys/parts store to see if they have a code reader that will read the codes for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.