Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed plugs before on my dads 02 and my old 99 vulcan no problem, the plugs came out like butter... however I Cant move them at all in my new 03....

I ran the car for a few mins to see if a Warm engine block would help but no success....

these are the same tools that pulled the other plugs but Im afraid Im going to break the plug..... and thats just on the front plugs I cant imagian how bad the back ones will be when I cant even see it.....

Anyideas - aparently there where changed 90,000 km ago... but the bastard ford tech probally did not use Anti Seize compound...

-Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
They where Motorcrafts - the old style ones didn't have nickel plating of the higher end Autolites and probably are rusted in the iron block of your Vulcan. I broke 3 of 8 in my iron block 5.0L Explorer. Since then I don't want to hear of Motorcraft plugs (even if now they changed them as result of complains).
Use LOTS of PB Blaster and WAIT some hours... Or else:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pardon my language but holy ****!

after i made this post i went outside to have another Go at it. This time I took off the panties and cranked it with all my strength, I managed to get the front 3 plugs off the block.

Im going to work the next 4 days straight 14 hour shifts but I cant wait to get the back ones off on tuesday... I was told to try some liquid wrench as well....

ill take pics of the condition of my plugs after

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Let the engine get as warm as you can stand it. In other words, run it for even longer if it doesn't get too hot for you to touch.

This is the lesson, and people have argued with me over this since I started posting here years ago: Just because the manual says change the plugs every X miles or every Y years, don't wait that long, and this is exactly why. Plugs just aren't that expensive, and the job--especially on the Vulcan--is not very difficult. You're going to be seriously caught with your pants down if you break one off and lose pieces of it in a cylinder trying to get it out.

You won't need anti-seize if you're going to change them again after a reasonable amount of time but it's your call. I'll be disappointed in you if you haven't done this job again within 2-3 years. ;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That's true - I bought my Ex used with original plugs in and rusted from driving a while in the "rust belt".

My broken plugs left a small ceramic pice (the tip) inside the part left in the block. Luckly, when I cranked the engine, the compresion of that cylinder blew them out across the yard...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts