Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum! Hope everyone is doing well.

I have an 03 V6 Auto. I have the transaxle completely off the block, but i cant seem to lower it between the block and the sub-frame. I feel like this should be easier than it is. Are there any tricks you guys know? I know you guys are the experts on these cars, any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks in Advanced
Ryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will droppping the back of the subframe (just the two back bolts) give me enough room to get the transaxle out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no. drop the whole thing. you can secure the engine in place, unbolt the trans from it, then lower the sub-frame/trans as one unit.
Thanks for the response rudedog, are there any tricks to how to secure the engine from the top without having an engine hoist? Ive got the subframe lowered about 4 inches right now, but the engine has a jack under it, i need a way to hold it from the top.
And is it just the 4 bolts on the corners of the subframe? Already removed the tranny bracket/bushing.
First time doing anything to the taurus, obviously lol
Thanks in advanced
Ryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pretend i never asked that, why dont i look before i ask...;
Sorry for being stubborn.

Tranny is out.

Heres a question i need to know, im sure you guys know... How can i tell if the Torque converter is bad. It shouldnt have a clunk to it like somethings loos inside when you shake it should it?

Thanks for ALL the help.
Ryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason i took it out was because no matter what i put the shifter in (R, N, D, 2, 1...) It was acting like it was in neutral.
I was thinking torque converter...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last question, i broke 2 things getting the tranny out. So im going to have to order them.
Only thing is.. Is that I dont know what to tell the parts guy.

Pic 1, I know its an engine mount, but what would it be in his computer as?

Pic 2, Its a white harness coming out of the top of the trans. No clue what it does. Just know i broke it

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did disconnect it, but something fell on it during the fiasco..

Im really going to have to rebuild the whole F*cking transmission due to this??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From its outside location, it looks like its right under the valve body..

Can i get to it from that way?

Trying to ask before i tear it down

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Holy **** dude... Why didnt you disconnect that? your going to have to rebuild it... heres one from rockauto RockAuto Parts Catalog
This looks like the external connector. The internal harness is broken. The link is the torque arm. You need to get the trans to the point in the picture below to fix the wiring. The torque converter will rattle when detached as nothing is holding the guts in place. Also included a picture of the back of the broken connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This looks like the external connector. The internal harness is broken. The link is the torque arm. You need to get the trans to the point in the picture below to fix the wiring. The torque converter will rattle when detached as nothing is holding the guts in place. Also included a picture of the back of the broken connector.

You are my hero!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What does getting to that point consist of? Anything that ill need any special tools for or anything? Anything (other than seals) not reusable? The inside of this tranny is fine, i just need to fix this electrical connector...

Thanks alot again..
Ryan

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I did this using the Ford factory manual as a guide. I don't have it in electronic form to send. Taking it apart is straightforward. Getting the connector out was a pain-needed 2 screwdrivers and a Channel-lock. It has to be vertical to put it back together, and you have to torque the bolts for the chain cover and valve body in a specific order. A new chain cover gasket is needed, and I would recommend changing the torque converter seal and axle seals while you can. The harness is probably called shift solenoid harness or internal harness. I did not replace mine, so I'm not sure. If you're going this far, why not just rebuild and upgrade it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, i have a mustang cobra, and a toyota land cruiser so i have no need/want in upgrading anything on the Taurus. ITs the wifes.. lol

How far in the tear down is that picture? Did you go from the side pan? I thought the valve body was going to be there when i take it off.
Is this directly under the valve body or are their even more steps?

You are so much help man, thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts