Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well I've got a new problem (I think) with my 03 Taurus. Yesterday I noticed a very slight hesitation while I was stopped at the light. I had driven 35 minutes on the highway earlier with no problems. So I plugged in my code reader and was getting the PO316 code. Couldn't find any info in my book about it. Must be a Ford code. From my google search, it's a misfire issue. I should point out that I don't have any check engine lights on. I checked again today and the code is no longer showing up on my code reader ;)

Now, I haven't had any problems since February with misfiring. At that time I was getting the PO303 code and had a brief encounter with some rough idling. The problem went away on it's own. I decided to replace the spark plug wires anyways. In early 2013 I had a misfire with #6 cylinder and so had the plugs and coilpack replaced.

I checked the back side of the coil pack and no cracks.

As I say, I've put on 6,000 kms (3,700 miles) since February and no problems until now. So what does this new code mean exactly?.

Help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
use a better scanner

Some codes are "Pending' stored in memory rather than set the CEL. If they go away in a short while, they get erased. If they come back, the CEL is set.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some codes are "Pending' stored in memory rather than set the CEL. If they go away in a short while, they get erased. If they come back, the CEL is set.
But even if the code disappears.... something had to trigger that PO316 code. What would be the root cause?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,

A good mechanic that I know from Ford offered to hook up his computer to the car and see what information he could find. It confirmed that there has been a history of misfires on Cylinder 3. But there wasn't anything else that pin-pointed the exact cause. Wires, plugs, and coil pack is fine.

He thinks that there's a possibility that there's a very small amount of coolant leaking into the cylinder. That would trigger a misfire and possibly cause the car to idle rough. I forget just what he called this.... but the price to fix would be quite costly.

Does this sound at all possible for the coolant to be leaking into the cylinder?.

Right now the car is running ok. There has been a few instances where it's felt a little rough at idle but nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Super Moderator
7,690 Posts
If coolant is leaking into a cylinder, the plug for that cyl as well as the piston top, etc will be much cleaner than the other cyls. Pull plugs and compare them, and if available use an inspection scope to look inside. Coolant leaking into a cyl kills O2 sesnsors.

Has the coolant level been dropping slowly? When was the last time the plugs, wires, coil pack was replaced?

I would suspect a bad plug, plug wire, or failing coil pack before suspecting a head gasket leak.

Which engine do you have? Vulcan or Duratec?

P0316, and any code with the format P0xxx is a generic code used by all manufacturers. Codes with the format P1xxx or P2xxx are manufacturer specific codes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sure it is possible.
Bad plug seal?

I wouldn't think this would be too difficult to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
Sure it is possible.
Bad plug seal?

I wouldn't think this would be too difficult to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined.
For the record, I would not trust new plugs/wires or anyother thing to be perfect. Record on this post of new parts being bad go on and on. I had a new plug that was loose on any wire I had. Also had a cracked plug insulator one time in the past. Misfired when cold. Son had F-150 inline 6. He had a high speed, high load miss. I asked about plugs and wires and he had just put new high priced wire wound core wires on it. I asked him to ohm the wires. He said, "they are new premimum". Ohm the anyway. One was open. He took them back and got regular new wires. All is OK.

I would pull the plugs and inspect carefully for any sign of difference in the color of the inside insulator, and for any sign on the outside insulator of carbon tracks.

U could have coolant leak but U would see some loss of level and it would miss worse when it sat longer. Like missing a day of not driving.

X soninlaw had F-150 that leaked and it missed when started but got OK in only a few feet of driving out of the dirve. He just added coolant. Then he was gone for a week and it hydrolocked. Cranked it and it bent a rod.

-chart-

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you suspect a leak vs faulty plug, swap cylinders for a while and see if the code changes or if the color on the plugs change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
kekaye56
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing