Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2003 taurus with 258,000 km (1600000 miles)
I have full document history the spark plugs where changed with Ford plugs at 175,000 km....

I was going to change Just the plugs, but I was thinking with that many km Should I also change the wires... like if its not broken why fix it.....

What are your thoughts... as I dont know....

I was also going to change to Bosh but I need in other threads our cars dont like that brand....

Stick with ford plugs or Ngk...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If I were you with the extra miles it would be worth changing plugs and wires. I have new motorcraft plugs and new wires and went from 25 to 30 mpg. The old plugs had very little electrode left. Gap was over .80. Recommened gap is .44-.46. Just sayin!! Is your engine and tranny both original?? You did good if they are!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Replacing spark plugs - look in the owner manual for recommended schedule. Some 60k miles for lots of city traffic or 100k for normal/light highway.
Original wires don't age that much. I have mine from '96 and are still ok. Maintenance manual doesn't say nothing about replacing them.
Spark plugs - I have changed them in my Duratec at 87k with Bosch Ir Fusion and I have now 175k with them. But... Duratec is a different beast from Vulcan in this aspect. Duratec was designed with Porsche help so german plugs are OK.

Since then, I found out that Autolite makes the Motorcraft plugs and I choose in my Explorer to use their best plug - Autolite Iridium (XP range). For a Vulcan engine definitly I would go Autolite XP.

I think my next plugs in my Sable will be XP104 too...

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
XP

Replacing spark plugs - look in the owner manual for recommended schedule. Some 60k miles for lots of city traffic or 100k for normal/light highway.
Original wires don't age that much. I have mine from '96 and are still ok. Maintenance manual doesn't say nothing about replacing them.
Spark plugs - I have change them in my Duratec at 87k with Bosch Ir Fusion and I have now 175k with them. But... Duratec is a different beast from Vulcan in this aspect. Duratec was designed with Porsche help so german plugs are OK.

Since then, I found out that Autolite makes the Motorcraft plugs and I choose in my Explorer to use their best plug - Autolite Iridium (XP range). For a Vulcan engine definitly I would go Autolite XP.

I think my next plugs in my Sable will be XP104 too...
Im OK with XP104. I replaced my Sable DOHC '01 at 111K. Old plugs on back bank were maybe .065" and front bank .058" gap. Factory spec is '054 and were single platinum. RockAuto about $4.50 with $2 rebate is not half bad, and I never exect to use them up. Car will rust out first. So, ~$18 in nothing in the big picture, and quite a bit of work to put them in. Took the upper intake off and replaced some vacuum hoses that are hard to get to. So for me, vacuum hoses and PCV are the larger issue. And of course those stupid elbows on the valve covers.

-chart-

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i called a local ford dealer and the plugs are 7.16 canadian each

the wires are not sold in a set.... ? the parts guy could not find them

each wire is individual
3 wires at 17 bucks each
2 wires at 19 bucks
1 wire at 20 bucks....
92 bucks for wires is crazy

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Get the plugs at Wal Mart.

Wires, check RockAuto.com and Amazon.com. Rock has Motorcraft wires (which I'd recommend paying for) for $37 + shipping. At 160K miles, you need to replace them if it's never been done.

Definitely don't ever buy any of this stuff from a dealer.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Wires

So i called a local ford dealer and the plugs are 7.16 canadian each

the wires are not sold in a set.... ? the parts guy could not find them

each wire is individual
3 wires at 17 bucks each
2 wires at 19 bucks
1 wire at 20 bucks....
92 bucks for wires is crazy
If the wires are not damaged on the outside, and they still have nominal resistance by the ohm meter, I would leave well enough alone. New wires can be defective. Been there seen that. New wires should be ohmed before installing.

Old school test. Idle the car, radio on AM, tune a number near the top of the dial that does not have a station. Turn the volume up till you hear the pop pop of the sparks. If all sound alike, you have no plug wire issues. Bad plugs will miss at high rpm, high load. A bad plug wire will make a much different pop sound on the radio.

-chart-

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the wires are not damaged on the outside, and they still have nominal resistance by the ohm meter, I would leave well enough alone. New wires can be defective. Been there seen that. New wires should be ohmed before installing.

Old school test. Idle the car, radio on AM, tune a number near the top of the dial that does not have a station. Turn the volume up till you hear the pop pop of the sparks. If all sound alike, you have no plug wire issues. Bad plugs will miss at high rpm, high load. A bad plug wire will make a much different pop sound on the radio.

-chart-

Hey! That's nifty and helpful - thank you! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.