Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Taurites..

The tranny in my 2003 Taurus SES (110,000 miles) may be out.

My wife got stranded with no engagement in any gear, the engine would just rev. I later unhooked the battery to see if re-setting the computer would help. The cart started and went about 5 miles before I got a little exclaimation point on the dash (whatever that means?). The check engine light never came on.

So I pull into autozone to check for codes, and the reader says there are no codes. So I used the reader to "clear all codes" anyway. The mysterious exclaimation point goes away and I drive off. I made it 2 more miles and the tranny gives up again, no engagement in any gear. Reset the computer (I know.. I was grasping at straws) and the car makes it another 50 feet.. then dead again.

Towed it home and at this point on start up it will move 20-30 feet each time before the tranny goes out. Tranny fluid is nice and clean, and there are no noticeable tranny noises or clanking (on the rare occasion that the damn thing does move)

I talked a reputable local mechanic seeking a cheap solution, and asked him if it could be:

the Tranny pump? No.
the Manual lever position sensor (tranny range selector)? No.
the variable speed sensor? No.
the DPFE sensor (EGR pressure feedback sensor) No.

He thinks it is almost surely either:

That the engagement valve retainer has popped off on the valve body (very common). He said it's pure hell to get to, and will cost $25 for parts and $400 labor. If that's not it, then the tranny needs rebuilt, and will cost between $1200 and $1800 including labor, depending on how much crap is destroyed once he gets inside.

Any suggestions on other reasonably priced and competant mechanics to fix this mess?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Congrats on making it 110,000 miles, my 95 needed a full rebuild at 82,000. Those prices sound about right to me, it is a lot of work to get to anything in the tranny. AAMCO loves Ford for all they do to keep them in business.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The Yellow Exclamation point that you saw probably had a circular 'gear' like illumination around it. That is your Transmission light.

Could be a number of things, but I'll leave it up to the real pros here instead of giving bad advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard that AAMCO's workmanship sucks. That's just what I've "heard" from other car guys, I have no first hand experience. Jasper looks to be around $3000 + $800 labor. Ouch!

Are there any Ford tranny gurus here from the Knoxville, TN. area?
I'm willing to pay "under the table" cash (the best kind) for repairs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
QUOTE (Yeller' @ Apr 2 2009, 10:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=714681
I've heard that AAMCO is way too expensive ($3000 + $800 labor), and that the workmanship sucks.
Just what I've "heard" from other car guys... I have no first hand experience.[/b]
Since they are independently owned I'm sure it varies greatly depending on where you are. Here in OKC, they and one or 2 other shops are the only ones that always use master rebuild kits on rebuilds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Outside of Leitchfield, KY is a shop that both KNOWS the AXODEs (includes the AX4S and AX4N) they are honest and will sell you the $50 part not the rebuild if that's all that's wrong! They don't support the Do-It-Yourself crowd too much, but are good trustworthy Ford Tranny Guys. Family business, 2-generation, and yes, I know, A LONG WAY FROM KNOXVILLE. BUT... If I had to get my tranny rebuilt by a shop, I would drive that for to have these guys, too many friends and relatives taken care of by this shop! AND they are almost 100 miles from me!

Countryside Transmission
Gerald Westerfield
I deal with the son Mike, He is SHARP on the AXODEs!
(270) 274-9710
5059 Rob Roy Road
Cromwell, KY 42333

1 - 6 of 6 Posts