Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
To bad you don't live closer, I have a tranny sitting in the parts car I just bought! I'm trying to find a '03 to put it into :p

As far as cost, what's the car worth with a blown tranny and what's it worth running? If by the time you fix it it'll cost more then just buying another one, not alot of point unless you've had this one a long time and maintained it well and trust it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
To bad you don't live closer, I have a tranny sitting in the parts car I just bought! I'm trying to find a '03 to put it into :p

As far as cost, what's the car worth with a blown tranny and what's it worth running? If by the time you fix it it'll cost more then just buying another one, not alot of point unless you've had this one a long time and maintained it well and trust it.
Well-yes and no. Let's say it's worth $300 with a blown tranny. Add in the $1800 to fix trans. That's $2100 for a car you know and has a fresh tranny. Say you can replace it for $1500 plus tax/fees. Let's call it $1650. Then deduct the $300 for your old one. So you can have a tranny rebuild for $2100-$1350=$750. Of course, the new one will need something(they always do), so the difference will probably be less. It could even need a trans rebuild soon, so it could be way more expensive to get another one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Fishkill NY...any opinions on what this might be worth to scrap it? I am the original owner and our 22 year old son does not want to put the money into it..I own it and was thinking of paying the 1,800 to fix the tranny and then hold it till July when I would give it to my then 17 year old son...I don't know though I'm torn between fixing it (and then having to put do the brakes and 2 new tires) and scrapping it....thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I live in Fishkill NY...any opinions on what this might be worth to scrap it? I am the original owner and our 22 year old son does not want to put the money into it..I own it and was thinking of paying the 1,800 to fix the tranny and then hold it till July when I would give it to my then 17 year old son...I don't know though I'm torn between fixing it (and then having to put do the brakes and 2 new tires) and scrapping it....thanks for any input
Is everything else in good working order? How many more years do you plan on keeping this car? How much would you pay to buy another car, that may need other items fixed? Do you plan on buying another car in a few years? If you fixed it, would your 17 year old want it, and keep it for a few years? I'm happy I got rid of mine before the tc went, I knew I wasn't going to keep it more than another year or two anyway, so I bought a new car instead of taking chances. I didn't want to put $ into a car I was not going to keep, that would be silly.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I would say that if you're going to keep it for at least two years, it might be worth fixing. If you do fix it and decide that you don't need it, you'll probably break even selling it or a little worse. The car is worth like $500-$700 as a parts car and probably $1,800ish with a working transmission (maybe more with a recent rebuild), in my area at least. Most likely less as scrap. But you'd really need to drive it for two years to pay off in my eyes. If you only want to keep it for a year, consider swapping a wrecker tranny in and calling it a day. They're cheap! Then you can possibly still sell it as a working car when you're finished with it.

How is the front end looking? Has it had new struts yet?

You indicated that you're the first owner, how well did you maintain it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The front end is good but I just got laid off from my job the Monday after Thanksgiving 11/29 and now the 22 y/old says he wants to buy something on his own and I don't think I am going to put the 1,800 into it for the new tranny. Any suggestions on how to sell this car for parts or to a junkyard? Is there anyone on the board here that would like to purchase it?

Thanks very much- Dan from Fishkill NY

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
The front end is good but I just got laid off from my job the Monday after Thanksgiving 11/29 and now the 22 y/old says he wants to buy something on his own and I don't think I am going to put the 1,800 into it for the new tranny. Any suggestions on how to sell this car for parts or to a junkyard? Is there anyone on the board here that would like to purchase it?

Thanks very much- Dan from Fishkill NY
I'm really sorry to hear about your luck.

If I lived closer, I would come out and possibly buy it, but I'm all the way up in Canada so that's a no go. :(

I would try to sell it as a parts car, I would ask somewhere around $500 to $700 depending.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts