Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to figure out what the problem is. I have power, and everything works on the radio, but I don't have any sound. When I turn the radio on, the speakers make a faint pop sound but don't do anything after that.

Anyone have any suggestions on what the issue could be? I've tried different speakers, but those don't work either. I'm thinking it could be the RCU but don't have another one to test.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You could try attaching a speaker to a short set of wires directly to the back of the radio. This would at least rule out the wires. Some cars also have a built in amp that could also go bad.

Depending on the model of stereo, some have a reset button. I have an aftermarket one from Walmart that went dead. The online manual showed a reset button accessed through a small pin hole. Hit it and it fixed my problem. So what could be wrong depends on your hardware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try attaching a speaker to a short set of wires directly to the back of the radio. This would at least rule out the wires. Some cars also have a built in amp that could also go bad.

Depending on the model of stereo, some have a reset button. I have an aftermarket one from Walmart that went dead. The online manual showed a reset button accessed through a small pin hole. Hit it and it fixed my problem. So what could be wrong depends on your hardware.
Thats funny I just tried doing that lol. I took the speaker wires coming from the radio (white/pink and blue/white) and connected them to a speaker and it works when a cd is playing, but is very quiet. Im going to go to a junkyard tomorrow and see if I can find a RCU that I can pull to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then im going to get one from online.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Check fuse F117 in the engine compartment fuse and relay box. It is a 20 amp fuse. Have you done any work lately?
Worth note there are separate fuses for the dash system and the RCU. I had one long time ago with a fuse out but it would backfeed from the other and light up but have no power.
Long shot but I had '01 wagon that the sound went dead when in reverse. Found the backup light was not working. Seems a speaker wire was shorted to the backup light wire. No harm to the radio. Fuse blown that did the backup lights.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check fuse F117 in the engine compartment fuse and relay box. It is a 20 amp fuse. Have you done any work lately?
Only thing I've done to it recently is change the headlights but I don't think that would cause the radio to be having issues.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Well like stated above the dash radio uses a different fuse than the RCU in the trunk. I that fuse is blown then you can replace it but chances are it will blow again but then you will know you have a short. You can unplug the RCU and replace the fuse again to verify the wiring. Using a fuse to troubleshoot is not the best but it is easy.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
In my experience this points to a failed RCU, more common with the Mach ones. Of course covering your bases is always a good idea with fuses and such. The "pop" on startup tells me you have power though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts