Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: P0316 Misfire code / P0301 Cylinder 1

126k mi

Engine would rough idle, especially under load like AC or in drive with brake depressed. Stutter when going up hill after down shift.

First problem was rough idle in park. This was due to a leak and collapse of the IAC tube under the UIM. The rubber elbow joint that leads into the IAC had worn and collapsed onto itself under vaccume. Second, to fix the misfire, replaced spark plugs and wires. Wasn't the solution, but the plugs were original so it needed that anyway. Final solution was replacement of the Coil Pack. All of these repairs required partial removal of the UMI for access to 1-2-3 plugs and the coil pack.

Resolution: Replace coil pack ($93 Advance Auto Parts), IAC tube (Ford Auto $28)

Lastly, I'd like to thank all the posters in the repair forums. I'm not a mechanic, nor that inclined to engine work, but after reading the multiple entries on this site as to what to expect and how to remove the UMI, it was a breeze. Thanks to all for giving me the confidence to take this on without having to pay over $600 for what was a simple repair. I hope this post can help the next guy.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Hi,
Great fix!

There is a wealth of info here, as you already know,
even if you do not do the work yourself you will have a better
understanding should you need to have a shop do the work for you.

It also helps to have an identical make or model in the driveway,
I always own two of the same Fords, makes it easy to swap sensors out,
etc and get it fixed without spending big money.

99% of the posters here are polite and never put you down for asking
even the most basic questions, as if we're all in the same room.

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
I think you meant pcv tube? Plugs, wires and coil are a good line-up for eliminating misfires with fuel injector(s) being on deck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2002 DOHC that is getting code p301. I am fairly new to this particular Taurus, but have owned one before. The code never came up and the engine never missed until today. We have had a lot of rain the last couple days, and I was wondering if the coil pack might be acting up with the high humidity? Any Thoughts? I do have a coil pack that I replaced on the other Taurus that turned out not to be the problem I was chasing. Should I switch out? The plug wires look new on this car. Also, which is the No. 1 plug on the DOHC?

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
I have a 2002 DOHC that is getting code p301. I am fairly new to this particular Taurus, but have owned one before. The code never came up and the engine never missed until today. We have had a lot of rain the last couple days, and I was wondering if the coil pack might be acting up with the high humidity? Any Thoughts? I do have a coil pack that I replaced on the other Taurus that turned out not to be the problem I was chasing. Should I switch out? The plug wires look new on this car. Also, which is the No. 1 plug on the DOHC?
Same thing happened to mine. When it was dry it would be fine but as soon as it got most with humidity, or rain it would misfire on #1. Replaced coil. Plus and wires and it's been good for 2.5 years

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
301 code on Vulcan engine solved

I went through several rounds to solve a 301 code on my Vulcan engine.

Bought the car and overhauled the transaxle, and replaced spark plugs, air filter. After a month, got a 301 code on a damp morning. Cleared it and it came back a few days later.
Replaced the spark plug wires and checked the coil resistance (good), and had spark at all 6 coils. After clearing the 301 code, it took 2 weeks for the 301 code to return on another colder damp morning.
Replaced the coil pack and cleared the code, at it hasn't come back. Replaced the upstream 02 sensors a week later and it ran even better with an improvement in mileage and smoothness too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks for the feedback, I will replace the coil pack and go from there. Went out early this morning and started it up in the dark but it did not miss and I did not see any arcing, so I am assuming it is a crack in the coil that doesn't like the moisture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts