Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I had left my lights on the other night. Tried to crank but was low on battery, well I quite and came back in the morning to jump it off. After letting it charge awhile I turned the ignition switch but nothing happened. Turned the switch to off position. The blower and radio would still work in the off position with no key in ignition. I replaced the ignition switch, but then found when I inserted the key and turned to the cranking position,it wouldn't start. When I turned the key, it wouldn't push the actuator rod forward but it had to be manually pushed back into off. The rod stays in on position and doesn't turn the switch to off, leaving the blower on and the radio on with no key in ignition switch clyinder. How do I replace it? I can't find a good video or diagram/article. Can some give me directions/ advice on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are threads here on replacing the rod but most folks find it much simpler to swap out the column with a JY replacement
Thanks, about how long does that take? Cost is also a consern. I'll look for those treads again. Strange thing is I'm 54 drove a lot of cars and have never had this happen, it's a first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are threads here on replacing the rod but most folks find it much simpler to swap out the column with a JY replacement
It has anti theft, but is their away of bypassing? I'm short on time and don't have much money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has anti theft, but is their away of bypassing? I'm short on time and don't have much money.
I meant can I start my car by manually operating the switch because it's a ready in on position. Would I have to bypass the anti theft? I have key, do I just keep it in ignition?

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
Everything is difficult before it is easy. Degree of difficulty and the time involved are the main reasons people swap columns. At a guess an average DIY mechanic should be able to swap out the column in less than 1.5 hours soup to nuts. You can avoid any hassle with PATS by swapping your current ignition tumbler into the replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything is difficult before it is easy. Degree of difficulty and the time involved are the main reasons people swap columns. At a guess an average DIY mechanic should be able to swap out the column in less than 1.5 hours soup to nuts. You can avoid any hassle with PATS by swapping your current ignition tumbler into the replacement.
Thanks, one more question I've got to get to work or get fired, how do I manually operate the ignition switch, does switch kick back so as not to keep kicking the starter?

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
Manually operating the switch is the same as the actuator doing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts