Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- I'm a brand new users to this site, and I come with a question. I bought my wife a used 2003 SES last month. It's in great condition, and only has 20K miles. It was exactly 1 year old when we bought the car. It was previously a rental in Florida. I'm in Ohio now.

The car runs great with the exception of one problem. It seems to stutter, misfire, or "hunt" between 30MPH and 35MPH. You can feel it in the gas pedal and, to a lesser degree, through the seat. For example, when I'm driving, my wife can notice it if I point it out.

I'm planning to take it to the dealer soon for its first oil change so I can also have them check out the problem. My fear is that it won't register a failure code, so they won't do anything about it.

Do any of you have any advice? Can you help me explain what I'm experiencing to the mechanic? Does it sound like a transmission problem to you?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

J.R.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also had the same problem :blink: I guess i never really thought to much of it though. Any advice on how to fix it would be great.. if there is a way to fix it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well try this. It couldn't hurt to try. Disconnect the battery for two hours and then turn on the high beams to drain the auxilary power. Then hook the battery back up and drive it for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is to check the transmission fluid level. It might be low.

G

·
I'd also recommend the battery disconnect. On a side note... where in Ohio are you? I'm in the Akron/Canton area. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
my 99 duratec does that also, my trans guy tells me there is
a relationship between the electrical system and the transmission.
in my case it is the trans, but because there is an electrical short,
there seems to be water getting in my headlight, among other
things. to be safe just check all your fuses, and check for water
in the headlites or tailites. aslo have you ever used the fuel
inj cleaners like chevron-techron?
dave in ohio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in the Central Ohio area -- Westerville, to be exact.

I'll try the battery thing. Thanks for the tip. I'll also check the Transmission fluid.

I have never tried any fuel injector cleaners. We've only had the car about two months. I might try that as well if things don't work out with the other suggestions.

J.R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts