Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting,
I have a 2003 sable wagon that had a very intermintent no prime starting issue and it now not priming at all, I suspect the fuel pump but I would like to check the grounds and continuity before changing the fuel pump. Per what I have read it is behind the passenger side panel by the inertia switch, But I cant figure out how to remove the rear panel, the are 2 bolts under the storage cover where the inertia switch is but no other exposed fasteners, prying the panel back a bit it looks like some kind of spring loaded tabs holding the panel to the metal framing, I think there is a tool or a way to get it apart without breaking it. I have searched on how to do this but haven't found the answer.
The has the duratec engine.
Thanks in advance I have found the solutions to several odd problems on this forum

·
Super Moderator
8,806 Posts
Have a helper crank the engine while you give the bottom center area of the fuel tank several good wacks with a large rubber mallet. If the pump runs / engine starts, replace pump.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The rear plastic liner has to come off to get access to those trunk pockets. You unscrew the two net catches, then pop the four plastic push pins, then it pops off towards the front of the car. With that said I'm pretty sure the fuel pump controller is on the driver's side, but maybe they moved it in the later cars. Either way it's pretty easy to test if the module is feeding the pump power. But Jeff's suggestion holds weight too, it's very rare for these driver modules to fail.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The rear plastic liner has to come off to get access to those trunk pockets. You unscrew the two net catches, then pop the four plastic push pins, then it pops off towards the front of the car. With that said I'm pretty sure the fuel pump controller is on the driver's side, but maybe they moved it in the later cars. Either way it's pretty easy to test if the module is feeding the pump power. But Jeff's suggestion holds weight too, it's very rare for these driver modules to fail.
Pic of the module wiring. When mine had pump not run but module OK, I removed the plug to the pump, grounded the - and hot wired battery power to the +. Pump ran and I got it to the shop without the module. Not safe but got me 2 miles with 80# pressure not managed. Module on '01 and '03 wagons wee on the pas side behind the CD changer. I removed the filter outlet and put a hose on it and to a fuel carrier and pumped the tank down first. Can't pump it all out but got what I could.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, Once I get a weather window I will dig into this and let everyone know what I find. I sure miss my wagon!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts