Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fan, temp, auto and A/C buttons on my EATC are not working most of the time so my temp and fan settings are locked on whatever setting they were on the last time they did work.

Every now and then when pressing auto, they start to work and I am able to adjust temp and fan then they go long periods without working.

Currently temp 70 and fan low so it hasn't been that annoying.

Also, the 4 above buttons work fine that control where the fan distributes air and the A/C kicks on when I push the defr or floor/upper vent buttons.

I tried running the diagnostic but because the auto button doesn't work nothing happens after pressing off/floor then auto to start the diag.

Is there a separate relay or fuse that controls just these buttons?

Have had the car about a month, had 3 sable/taurus wagons in the past but this is my first with EATC. Of course when I tested the heat and A/C prior to buying they seemed to work fine and the previous owner said he really never saw the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hmm...could just be from prior owner hammering away on the buttons. One thing you could try is taking the unit out, removing the torx screws that hold the faceplate to the assembly and pop off the cover. Then you can examine the contact points for the buttons.

No separate fuses or relays control the buttons, sorry.

The yard near me has a 01 Sable w/112K. EATC is in mint shape. I know they charge $30, so if you want me to grab it, I can.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I agree with Nick.... the buttons themselves are likely fubared. I suggest replacing the ICP with a JY unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're right. Got it to work a couple times tonight just by turning on & off many times. Once on it ran through the different modes fine then would mysteriously lock up. I'll pull tomorrow and see if anything stands out. If not I'll replace. Thanks for the offer & help. I'll see if I can find one at the local yards first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts