Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read many threads before deciding to post, and couldn't find what I'm looking for.
I want to replace the 3157LL brake lights with LED's. I did this before, and avoided hyperflashing by changing the relay. But then my cruise control wasn't working.
Then I added resistors, but the cruise control turned off every time I used the turn signal, which means I connected the resistors incorrectly. So I went back to halogen.
I assume the lights have the regular tail light wire, the brake wire, and the turn signal wire. Could I get some guidance on how to connect the resistors so that hyperflashing and cruise control are not a problem?
Much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
8,268 Posts
Resistors go from brake / turn lamps 12 V feed to ground.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resistors go from brake / turn lamps 12 V feed to ground.
I see. Will test and see which one is the brake wire and connect resistor between that and ground. Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read many threads before deciding to post, and couldn't find what I'm looking for.
I want to replace the 3157LL brake lights with LED's. I did this before, and avoided hyperflashing by changing the relay. But then my cruise control wasn't working.
Then I added resistors, but the cruise control turned off every time I used the turn signal, which means I connected the resistors incorrectly. So I went back to halogen.
I assume the lights have the regular tail light wire, the brake wire, and the turn signal wire. Could I get some guidance on how to connect the resistors so that hyperflashing and cruise control are not a problem?
Much appreciated
All you have to do is change the the directional relay (above left of the brake pedal) to a multi (or variable) load relay, my led lights work perfectly for years, no need for load resistors. Any auto store will have them along with the book to tell you the correct number relay to use.

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you have to do is change the the directional relay (above left of the brake pedal) to a multi (or variable) load relay, my led lights work perfectly for years, no need for load resistors. Any auto store will have them along with the book to tell you the correct number relay to use.
Thanks, I did that for the front ones, but the rear ones need resistors. I learned that the hard way, after I replaced the cruise control module 3 times on my previous bull. It took me a month to realize that brake LED lights without resistors impact Cruise Control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts