1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I put KYB strut plus on mine, they ride better than when I bought the car 3 years ago. I bought them from tirerack.com, the rear assemblies were around $120 each, shipping took over a week (they came from Delaware, I'm in Texas). If your replacing springs, your going to have to replace all 4, as the ride height will change, even after the new springs settle. I learned that with this car, first I did the fronts, after 2 weeks, the nose was up too high. When I did the rears, it was the other way around until those springs settled. Now my car is at perfect ride height.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you are going to do the quickstruts it's not that difficult. The hardest part could be removing the pinch bolts. Use the topic search and you find lots of good advice and tips from people that have done it. When I did mine I bought Sensatrac struts and used progressive springs for a firmer ride. They were a about 1/4" higher than stock right away but after a week I checked again and was right on stock height. OEM springs on these cars are well known to brake so make sure to check the fronts too if they have not been replaced yet. A broken spring can really ruin your day.

As for the ones you found online the price is good but I didn't see any mention of what brand they are or warranty. Check out Rockauto for some good online prices and options plus there is usually a discount code that can save you a little too. I've had good experience with them but be careful to watch the shipping charges, especially if you order multiple items and they come from different warehouses. Another one to check is shosource, a site supporter and frequent poster.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
FYI, installing Gen 2 sedan cargo coils in the rear will help keep the rear from sagging so easily when weight is added.

And :werd: to what Kevin said. The 02-3s suffer from the same issue as the recalled 99-01s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Normally I would agree with changing all 4 corners at the same time. Its how I've always done it in the past. However, putting close to $500 into the car right now isn't ideal. So far on the list to order is the rear quick struts and a replacement wheel, then I'll bring it in for an alignment.

Right now I'm maxed out at 55mph and everyone on the highway hates me! The car is great around town, but on the highway its a joke right now. Hopefully 2 new rear struts and a wheel can get me through the winter.

On another note, does it matter between a Taurus wheel with or without a step down?

Thanks for the help guys! :D

EDIT: Found the wheel info I was looking for. Here's the thread I found in case anyone else runs into the same question.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/116...972-gen-4-taurus-wheels-type-ever-change.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The place I was going to order them from on ebay had some bad feedback about shipping delays. Some buyers said it took over 30 days for the package to arrive!!

I called and asked them about the bad feedback with shipping and the girl said "to be honest with you, the shocks won't ship until the beginning of next week". I said I needed to think about it before I order then.

A quick google search on the part number 171616 brought me to Amazon. I ended up paying $115 per quick strut and they will be here Wednesday!

I also ordered a replacement wheel for $90 (including shipping) and that will be here either Wednesday or Thursday. So hopefully I can make some time Friday to get everything installed! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to update the thread with the end results.

The replacement wheel came first and I had my buddy that owns a tire shop throw it on for me. That fixed the shake that was happening around 58-59mph, but it still wasn't 100% stable due to the rear end having so much wear on it.

I put the new struts in on Friday. Finding the top mounts was probably the biggest pain in the ass of the whole install! Not to mention having to rip apart the back seat. I guess I'm used to having it easy with the mounts being in the trunk. lol

Now the car drives great! Overall it was a little over $300 for everything and the car drives how it should. Only problem is now I'm feeling a slight slip in the transmission when letting off and going back on the throttle, mainly on the highway. Until something else comes up I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it gets me through the winter! :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Along the same line, I just had the front struts changed (MotorCraft struts) on my 2007 Taurus. Would it make any difference if I get the Ford struts for the rear or should I look at the Monroe quick struts with the springs? I did not get the springs on the front. Recomendation?

SUP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Along the same line, I just had the front struts changed (MotorCraft struts) on my 2007 Taurus. Would it make any difference if I get the Ford struts for the rear or should I look at the Monroe quick struts with the springs? I did not get the springs on the front. Recomendation?

SUP
I did some searching and looked around quite a bit before I bought the Monroe quickstruts from Amazon. I found other brands that were cheaper, but cheaper doesn't always mean better. Plus after some reading around it seemed like the Monroe ones were the choice pick in the Taurus community.

My newly acquired Taurus has 180k miles on it, so I saw no reason not to change the entire unit, rather than just the strut assemblies. This way I can have piece of mind knowing that the whole unit is brand new and should last the life of the car.

The difference in the ride is 100% better than what it was when I bought the car. The new rear wheel definitely fixed one problem, but the new suspension in the rear made me a huge difference. I highly recommend replacing the entire unit, rather than just the struts. If you're mechanically inclined enough and have the tools, its not too bad of a job either. I was just lucky to have a lift to use which made the whole job go a lot smoother than it probably would have on jack stands.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will probably have someone do the rear struts. I have been able to do quite a bit of the work on the car lately but not sure I want to tackle taking off the struts that are currently on the car. I am leaning towards the Monroe quickstruts on the rear as well.

SUP

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Since you leave in the rust belt, i agree with having a shop do the work. They should be used to dealing with rusted, stuck and broken pinch bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you leave in the rust belt, i agree with having a shop do the work. They should be used to dealing with rusted, stuck and broken pinch bolts.
PB Blaster is our friend here in the NE.

Our trucks down at the shop have been on the road for over 20 years and have more rust on them than they have paint. :lol2: A can of PB blaster, the correct tools, and man hands can remove any frozen bolt/nut.

I hate to see people take their cars in for work when they can save hundreds doing it themselves. Granted, not everyone has the means to, but a basic tool kit and shop manual can get you pretty far.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

SUP
Replace the rear springs, my old rear springs started to sag after 80k. I never carry anything heavier than 2 weeks worth of groceries back there! After you put the new springs on, the back will ride higher than it should for the first week or two, while the springs settle. Wait a couple of weeks for the springs to settle before getting a alinement done. The springs Ford put on these cars are total garbage! With PB blaster soaking for a few hours, you shouldn't have issues getting the pinch bolts off, even if you live in the rust belt. It took me a few hours to replace mine, and to clean/adjust/bleed the rear drums while I had the wheels off. You should clean/adjust the drums, too, as my shoes had excess clearance from the drums. Buy new pinch bolts, and allow more time for rust belt cars. Removing the rear seat back (if you have fold down like mine), is a piece of cake. The rear shelf slides right out once you pull those now-exposed tabs holding it. I did $1500 worth of suspension work to mine for only $650 in parts. DIY and save big time, with help off this site! The front struts are a bigger pain to do, fyi.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Buy new pinch bolts......
Forgot to add that part, I replaced the 2 bolts as well.

My plan was to take pictures as I went along with a list of tools required and compose a writeup to post here. I figured that would be my first contribution to the site. Unfortunately once I got the car on the lift and started tearing things apart, I didnt remember the camera until the old assemblies were out. By that time I figured it was too late. :unsure:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My passenger side rear spring is broke.
I think I will go ahead and do the 171616 quickstruts in the rear of my 1997 sedan.
Thanks for posting the part number, it does look like amazon is the best deal!

OK these pinch bolts... would someone mind posting that part number and noting the best place to buy them too?

OK anything else while I am doing these?????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.