Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I went to change the oil pressure switch on my 2003 Taurus with a 24 valve. The switch I took out doesn't match the replacement switch. The one called for is a 3/8 thread with a long flat nose. The one in the car (1u5t-9278) is a 1/4 thread with a short, beveled nose. It looks like someone put a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer in to accommodate this switch.

Has anyone seen this? My gut is to take out the reducer and just put the bigger switch in, but I can't figure out if there was a reason someone did this. This was my mother in laws car until about three years ago, and AFAIK she only had it serviced at her dealer in Florida.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I think mine looks like a quarter inch in a bushing to 3/8". Factory puts in what ever is in the inventory. Just tape it and put it in. Likely you are doing this due to leaks.
If anyone here can post a pic of DOHC not leaking, please post it. I have now 3 '03's in my stable, and had a '01 and all leak. My '03 Taurus had the pan gasket replaced by the dealer. It leaks less.
-chart-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh it definitely has leaks but not here. The switch is electrically bad. Looks like I have what you have, a bushing so the 1/4 will fit. I'm just wondering if I take the bushing out can I just use the 3/8, but it sounds like I should just replace what is there.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
My '03 Taurus bought used had the pan gasket replaced by Ford dealer. I can see blue silicone around some of the corners. Still leaks but less than my other two Sables.
-chart-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I want to reseal my pan but I DON'T want to take that exhaust down, so maybe I won't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts