Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable LS sedan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mercury Sable with 61,000 miles on it and I am planning on changing the tranny fluid and filter. How many quarts of fluid will I need to refill the pan and also what ATF fluid do you recommend?

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
^ 6-8 qts. of any Mercon 5 atf of your choice. Supertech from Wallyworld is fine. With any surplus, you can use a turkey baster and empty/refill the ps reservoir too. If you don't want to steal your wife's turkey baster, they're also available at Walmart, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sheila, thank you for your help. I am going with Mobil 1, and I see I need to get one more quart. I only have 7.

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
^+1 Scott. Got all done years ago and was putting tools up and noticed the little donut magnet stuck to my tool box lid. After dropping the pan, I had taken the magnet out first, cleaned it with brake cleaner and stuck it on the lid. It was placed and remained in its proper position on the tranny pan "externally" until the next atf service, lol! I use a clear under-the-bed Sterilite storage tub large enough to accomodate the tranny pan for my drain pan. You guessed it, also available at Wallyworld, lol! Along with Scott blue paper shop towels, brake cleaner and an atf funnel. I'd clean, with brake cleaner, and reuse the "reusable" oem Ford pan gasket. The one that comes with the filter kit will be a crumpled up cork or rubber one guaranteed to leak. The filter neck seal/o-ring likes to stay up in tranny tube after removing the filter. I use a small flat blade screwdriver to "vee" the rubber coated aluminum seal and pull it out with needle nose pliers. Be careful not to nick/gouge the soft aluminum tube. Install the new seal on the the new filter and slather the seal with fresh atf before installing. I remove the pan with a 3/8" dr. ratchet and replace it with a 1/4" dr. ratchet. I place the bolts in a small magnetic pan and spray/soak them with brake cleaner. When done and everything is buttoned up, I initially add 6qts. atf, start car, idle up to normal operating temp. and with the engine warm and idling in Park, check the atf level adding in 1/2-1 pint increments to avoid overfilling until the level is in the safe crosshatch area on the dipstick. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Vent Cap. I found if you remove it makes for easier filling and then put it back on the right way. It can make a mess. Been there.
I remove the accordion and the air plenum for easy access.
-chart-

·
Registered
372 Posts
One other tip, do not overtighten the pan bolts, believe torque is about about 96-108 inch pounds. If you don't have a torque wrench just use a 1/4 inch ratchet and tighten gently alternating in about three intervals. Don't ask how I know this!!!

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone with all of the guidance here. Instead of me doing it, I had my mechanic provide the service and I went with Mobil 1 ATF. I used a FEL-PRO gasket also. I am also considering going full synthetic with my motor oil also, using Mobil 1. Anyone using Mobil 1 currently as their motor oil?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
My '03 Sable wagon bought used, someone had rounded the heads on the pan three of the pan bolts. I can get them out with enough effort but not worth it now. I suck the fluid out with my vacuum bottle as in the pic. Replace the same quantity I remove. Make sure the vent is on correctly. Ford says 150K on the filter. Car is at 155K now so I may do something some day. No place to work for now but that will change. Tran shifts fine. My guess is somebody had the pan off and rounded the bolt heads putting it back on.
I am a fan of "exchanging" fluids as opposed to complete flush once in a great while. Exchanging my tranny with the bottle less than half hour. I use Walmart Mercon V. With 9 Bulls, no tran issues.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts