Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Ford Taurus and want to upgrade my system.I want to replace the stock speakers first and add some Mach tweeters by the side windows.I like a fair amount of bass.I notice that my stock cd player radio the bass drops about half volume.I am wondering if this will still happen when i replace the stock speakers and add the two tweeters.If so what is my option with out replacing the stock stereo which i do not want to do yet beacuse i have not found a durabale aftermarket dash kit as per reviews of Crutchfields kit.I don't want to spend alot of money and would like to have look as stock as possible.Any suggestions or help would be great.I am new to this fourm so don't want to sound dumb but looking for ideas. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
I think that's the bass nanny feature built into the RCU to prevent you from blowing out the speakers?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
^ I think so too. The Mach does much better with that, but I seldom turn the volume up more than 4 or 5 dots because of the tape to ipod adapter I use.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
But this is with the iPod volume turned down lower, so the volume equivalent of a CD or radio is different than with the tape adapter in for the iPod.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Stock RCU does not have bass nanny, but it's very weak. Stock RCU is nicer if you need an external amplifier. A forum member (madscientist) even reverse engineered stock RCU to get a low level signal out of it for an amplifier pre-out. He claimed that's not possible with Mach. Of course, you can still probably hook up an after market amp to Mach RCU, and then calibrate its gain structure so that sound gets pretty loud before you run into the "bass nanny" region of the RCU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hooked an audio out converter up in my 03 Ford Taurus and a Kenwood amp and 12" Kenwood sub and no longer had THAT problem after buying an am/ fm Bluetooth adapter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts