Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2003 ford Taurus here is my problem.... car will not start.
1. Car turns over but will not start
2 car has spark and will start for a few seconds with starting fluid and then stalls
3. fuel pump sounds when key is turned on
Inertia switch is down
4. When I release the pressure valve on the fuel rail no pressure or fuel is released
5. checked fuel regulator sensor for continuity and it is good registering at 12 ohms
What else can I check/do before towing to mechanic

·
Registered
300 Posts
Have you verified the fuel level in the tank and I don't mean the gauge, they lie. The other though is a broken fuel line inside the tank.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Just because the pump runs doesn't mean it is supplying proper pressure. On my 2001 it took four key cycles to build proper pressure. It was bad. You need to verify pressure with gauge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Easy check: pour a small amount of fuel into the intake - hit starter - if engine runs for a few seconds and stops, you've got a fuel supply problem.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
His #2 comment says it starts.
Yes the OP did. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't blow their selves up with gas. Also I have been lucky to get two of my Taurus with bad pumps to start and run with starting fluid only to have them not start again a few days later. One I drove 20 miles home and changed the pump out.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Probably 20 years ago had the rubber line from the pump to the pump flange split. Pump sounded fine but fuel just dribbled out the Schroeder valve on the rail. After exhausting every other possibility I dropped the tank to have a look. The problem was obvious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts