Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I'm getting a P0303 (misfire in cyl #2) code. I've read several of the posts here about changing the plugs and the DOHC engine and it really doesn't look fun at all. So I have a few questions;

Is it even possible to change the 1-2-3 without removing the UIM?

Anyone who has done it have any pictures?

Any tips? As I am completely dreading it but totally unwilling to pay a mechanic to do it. Way to go Ford...lol

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There are several post here for DOHC plug changes. It is not hard to pull UIM. I have changed plugs on a DOHC recently and it was a 2 hour job. Just put your head down and go for it. Replace the EGR gasket, UIM gasket and check all of your vacuum hoses. Takes about half an hour to pull the manifold and throttle body back to the air filter.
I used Motorcraft Platinums to match existing plugs. Went from 24 to 29 MPG. Replaced the DPFE sensor and cleaned the manifold at the throttle body connection and at the EGR connection. I was pulling a P0401 before the job. Was the DPFE. New wires and plugs were less than $60. Gaskets were about $12! I think there are some links here to some pictures for this. I used a Chilton's for the basic info. Good luck!!
Be well, downhill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'm looking looking up the gasket set...I only need the upper and not the lower right? The upper looks like oblong o-rings in the picture...is that correct?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Felpro makes a gasket kit with both the uim and lim gaskets. Search for my posts or look in the wiki for the part numbers, also do the PCV and hose while you have it accessible.
the LIM are easy to change, just keep the fuel rail bolted to the lim.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Felpro MS92586 comes with UIM, LIM, and EGR gaskets $14.00 from rock auto.
Make sure you have various sizes of tubing around to fix vac leaks. being 8-9 years old you will have additional vac leaks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys! It took 1 1/2 hours. Not too bad really. The worse part is being 6'2" leaning over the engine.

The plugs had over .125 gap...I'd say they were bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts