Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, let me start off introducing myself, im nick. Im buying a 2003 3.0 v6 from a buddy of mine for cheap. The only problem is when driving it it sometimes starts bucking out of know where and shuts off and wont start up for a while. It has no codes and nothing obvious wrong. Its had a tune up recently and my buddy brought it to ford and they keep telling him its the altanator, but the problem is intermittent so im confused. He also went and tested at autozone and they said its pulling 14 volts with the a/c on. So anyone with some advice on what I should start with please llet me know. I have a child due really soon so I don't have a bunch of cash to dump into it. Thanks gentleman for the help.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
could be a couple different things. had the same problem with an old chevy. spent a ton of money trying to figure it out and never did. first i would look at the fuel system. has the gas mileage been real good???? will the car restart when it cools off a little bit? ford said alt.. does it have bad bearings and lock up? does there appear to be a lot of rubber on the pulley? ( good sign of locking up ) does the anti theft light come on or flash when the car dies? hope this is a good start. let me know what you find and maybe i can help. good luck

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Hot start

Hi, let me start off introducing myself, im nick. Im buying a 2003 3.0 v6 from a buddy of mine for cheap. The only problem is when driving it it sometimes starts bucking out of know where and shuts off and wont start up for a while. It has no codes and nothing obvious wrong. Its had a tune up recently and my buddy brought it to ford and they keep telling him its the altanator, but the problem is intermittent so im confused. He also went and tested at autozone and they said its pulling 14 volts with the a/c on. So anyone with some advice on what I should start with please llet me know. I have a child due really soon so I don't have a bunch of cash to dump into it. Thanks gentleman for the help.
One thing that can cause stall, or hot no start is the fuel pump.
Easy to check. Turn the key to on but do not start. Listen for the pump which will run just under a second and stop, waiting for you to hit start. Try this and get familiar with the sound. When it will not start, try the key on and listen for the fuel pump sound. It it is missing or sounds rough, that will be the cause. You can repeat the key on and fuel pump short run over and over. This is well to know if you ever run out of gas. You can prime the system without grinding your starter.

Oh yes, fuel pump failure does not set a code. I had one that would run fine and quiet cold, but would not start running hot. Had to wait for it to cool off. Had to replace the pump.

-chart-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could be a couple different things. had the same problem with an old chevy. spent a ton of money trying to figure it out and never did. first i would look at the fuel system. has the gas mileage been real good???? will the car restart when it cools off a little bit? ford said alt.. does it have bad bearings and lock up? does there appear to be a lot of rubber on the pulley? ( good sign of locking up ) does the anti theft light come on or flash when the car dies? hope this is a good start. let me know what you find and maybe i can help. good luck
Thanks for the quick response sir. I did it with my 98gt mustang as well..lol.. From what my friend stated gas mileage is about the same. Car does start up after a while too. Ford said that the altanator is only pulling 12. something volts which isnt too bad from what I thought. I personally think there just trying to make some quick money. I got to look at the belt and pully though i didn't think about that and it would make sense about the out of know where it messing up. My friend also said the anti theft light starts to flash when it either is boggin out or is dead i forget which one. My 98 mustang did that too but it would just cut off the spark and fuel pump and shut off quietly . I wound up finding a guy that knows a guy who has the program to go into the computer to shut the PATS off. But Ford did reset the PATS system on the Taurus and re-keying it when it was in there. But it ran fine a few days and started the same thing all over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing that can cause stall, or hot no start is the fuel pump.
Easy to check. Turn the key to on but do not start. Listen for the pump which will run just under a second and stop, waiting for you to hit start. Try this and get familiar with the sound. When it will not start, try the key on and listen for the fuel pump sound. It it is missing or sounds rough, that will be the cause. You can repeat the key on and fuel pump short run over and over. This is well to know if you ever run out of gas. You can prime the system without grinding your starter.

Oh yes, fuel pump failure does not set a code. I had one that would run fine and quiet cold, but would not start running hot. Had to wait for it to cool off. Had to replace the pump.

-chart-
Yea fuel pump is running fine no studders or different sounds from it when it firs starts... I haven't listened for the pump when it stalls out tho, but I will check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

I agree fuel delivery sounds like the problem - so if you can rule out the fuel pump and/or fuel pump relay, next thing to check is fuel filter.

The fuel pump will not work well at near empty levels so always keep it at least 1/4 tank full.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts