Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a 2002 SES with the gas Vulcan. A/C stopped blowing cold air suddenly.

I happen to have a similar 2004 Vulcan with perfect A/C, and I noted that when the a/c is off, the compressor does not spin *at all*, and when the compressor kicks on it spins very quickly.

Back to the broken 2002... With the A/C switch either on OR off, the compressor spins extremely slowly, with no difference in speed whether I have the a/c switched on or off.

Is this a bad clutch? Or just a bad clutch coil?

Also, I can't find my Haynes book suddenly, so in either case, how bad is this to fix on my own, and can it be done without removing the entire compressor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Feel the low and high side lines under the hood. If their cold the compressor is still good. You should have heard bearing noises when you have a/c on, didn't you. This is the case with clutch going, in my experience.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Remember both come as a package and you will replace both. Is it really necessary to identify the faulty part?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No you can definitely buy just the coil. The compressor is definitely not turning fast enough to make the lines hot or cold of course since it's not blowing cold air. I do think I might barely hear a hearing noise but tough to say.

Mostly it would be helpful to know whether I can replace that clutch without pulling the compressor.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the search tip. The one question I still have... based on my symptoms, do you believe my problem is actually with the clutch itself, or is there still the possibility that it's the clutch relay or a completely bad compressor? Is it ever normal for the compressor to turn AT ALL even when the A/C is switched OFF? Because that's what mine is doing. Or would this indicate dragging due to from a bad clutch? Please remember this was an instant failure--it wasn't gradual as most people report when the clutch goes out.

I've done some reading and I think I'm going to leave this alone til spring until I've got the extra cash for a spare vehicle and can put this car up on stands for a week or two if I have to deal with stuck and broken bolts in fixing this myself. I'd much rather save $500 on this repair and put that towards a cheap truck which I've wanted for a while anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
With clutch off (not powered up) the compressor should not spin at all.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
With clutch off (not powered up) the compressor should not spin at all.
That was my impression as well. So would you then guess that if it IS spinning slowly (something around 2 or 3 revolutions per second) regardless of whether the A/C is switched on or off, then the clutch is bad?

Tonight I will definitely try swapping out the clutch relay since it's really quick but I'm anticipating this is going to be a clutch job involving dropping the subframe. It sucks because this car has a bad history of bolts breaking.

However, I did have this other crazy idea to cut a pulley-sized hole in the side of the engine bay instead... :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts