Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2002 Taurus 3.0 came in a few days ago, it will start and shut off after 5 to 10 seconds acts like it out of gas , changed fuel pump checked injectors, fuel pressure at 40 , changed alt. Thinking PCM any thoughts???

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
Does the fuel pressure stay at 40 psi right after it dies? If so, fuel filter isnt the problem.

I doubt the issue is related to the PCM. However, you may want to check / clean the PCM ground at the firewall.

Any codes (P, B, C or U series codes)?

Reactions: ice445

·
Registered
73 Posts
We have a 2002 Taurus 3.0 came in a few days ago, it will start and shut off after 5 to 10 seconds acts like it out of gas , changed fuel pump checked injectors, fuel pressure at 40 , changed alt. Thinking PCM any thoughts???
Can you keep the engine going by pushing the gas pedal or manually turning the gas handle? If so, there might be a problem with the IAC valve or its position sensor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry, there is no such thing as a position sensor for the Idle Air Control valve. There is only the Throttle Position Sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, there is no such thing as a position sensor for the Idle Air Control valve. There is only the Throttle Position Sensor.
right , the only way it will stay running is to spray stater fluid into the throllte body , it acts like it run out of fuel but thats not the case and i still have 40lbs of fuel pressure on the rail , someone said alt. because its a special one for that model that talks to the pcm and lets it work , i dont know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the fuel pressure stay at 40 psi right after it dies? If so, fuel filter isnt the problem.

I doubt the issue is related to the PCM. However, you may want to check / clean the PCM ground at the firewall.

Any codes (P, B, C or U series codes)?
p1288 was the first code now its p1352

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Make:FordCode:p1288Definition:Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Out Of Self Test RangeDescription:This DTC sets when the CHT sensor is out of self-test range. The engine is not at a normal operating temperature.Cause:
  • Cold engine
  • Engine overheating
  • Low engine coolant level
Diagnosis:Bring the engine to operating temperature. If cold, repeat the self-test. If the engine overheats, check the cooling system.
P1352 FORD Possible Causes
What does this mean?
  • Faulty Ignition Coil 'A'
  • Ignition Coil 'A' harness is open or shorted
  • Ignition Coil 'A' circuit poor electrical connection
For any code, you can do a search and get lots of info. Above copy and paste.
-chart-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right now we are down to the p not communicating with the key getting ready to try a new switch apparently someone before us changed the pcm and didn’t program

·
Registered
73 Posts
Perhaps the compressor is broken and stalling the engine once the magnetic clutch engages after a few seconds. Switch the AC to OFF to be sure that is not the cause.

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
It wont even start if the keys are not programmed properly. The primary coil code is a code that I have had and it will make the car miss.

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
I wonder if the correct PCM is installed in the car. No Taurus from 2002 used a CHT sensor.

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the understanding we got friday afternoon was the son installed another pcm from a junkyard , tried to program it and couldnt so put the orginal one back in.... so i believe there in lye's my problem

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
It is extremely rare for a PCM to go bad. I would check for a massive vacuum leak. I had a vacuum hose blow off the rear of the intake manifold and the car would start and stall right away. On my 2001 it was in the center rear of the manifold. Also check the PVC elbow if it is a Vulcan engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you double checked the fuel shut off button in the trunk? Right side, press in to reset. It cuts off fuel in the even of an accident.

·
Super Moderator
8,346 Posts
Behind rear seat on pass side. For some reason, when the FPDM fails it often doesnt set any codes. FPDM is such a common failure I carry a known good spare FPDM (from the JY) in the trunk of my 05 SEL Premium Duratec at all times. Personally never seen a failure of the fuel temperature / pressure sensor on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Behind rear seat on pass side. For some reason, when the FPDM fails it often doesnt set any codes. FPDM is such a common failure I carry a known good spare FPDM (from the JY) in the trunk of my 05 SEL Premium Duratec at all times. Personally never seen a failure of the fuel temperature / pressure sensor on the fuel rail.
i miss the hover for definition feature... what is fpdm? fuel pressure ??? module?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts