Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 3.0 SOHC that 2 weeks ago decided to stop blowing hot air. If I leave the fan on the lowest setting, it trickles hot air out, turn it up at all and it cools right off. I flushed the radiator and changed the thermostat, same thing. At one point, when I had flush in it, it blew really hot like it used to. But once I finished flushing it out and filled it back up with antifreeze, it just won’t put any heat out. I’ve ran it around with the scan tool hooked up to monitor the coolant temp. It gets up to 200, thermostat opens, cools down to 180 and there it stays, but no hot air. Any ideas?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Two questions:
1) How much coolant was in it when you drained it to flush it (assuming you did?)?
2) When you flushed it did you completely fill the system?

From my experience, low coolant causes no heat. However, from reading on forums, I've learned of other (obvious) causes. Well, they were obvious when I read them:
1) Clogged heater core (coolant has to pass through the heater core in order for the fan to blow heat
2) Bad blend door
3) Air in the system (not so obvious).

I would start by taking the car to a mechanic. You may want to start by checking those three things. Oh, and your coolant level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two questions:
1) How much coolant was in it when you drained it to flush it (assuming you did?)?
2) When you flushed it did you completely fill the system?

From my experience, low coolant causes no heat. However, from reading on forums, I've learned of other (obvious) causes. Well, they were obvious when I read them:
1) Clogged heater core (coolant has to pass through the heater core in order for the fan to blow heat
2) Bad blend door
3) Air in the system (not so obvious).

I would start by taking the car to a mechanic. You may want to start by checking those three things. Oh, and your coolant level.
Sorry for the late reply.

1) coolant was a little low when I started. Car had 16K on it when I got it 5 years ago from my grandparents (everything was original on it when I got it except the battery and wiper blades, there’s been a lot of things changed since that time though). It currently has 77K. Coolant is currently full now post flush. I flushed the system a total of 4 times. It was pretty dirty. I roughly got 2 gallons of the 3 Exchanged with every flush.

2) Blend door appears to be working fine.

Based on looking up the ‘Clinton Flush’, I’m pretty sure my heater core just needs to be replaced. The hoses are hot going in and out of the heater core. One of the things I read says that the heater core has a bypass within it. And I’m thinking that there was just so much residue within the cooling system, that the heater core is covered so it’s not creating a good heat exchange. Unfortunately it will be Thanksgiving weekend before I’ll have time to tear into it and change that part out.

I’ll make a post on here as to what happens after I change the heater core out.

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
May search the forum for the Heater Core Shortcut youtube video by realfixesrealfast. If no luck, google it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts