Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an 2002 SE Flex-Fuel Taurus sedan, and recently have two problems, which seem to be related:

1. The dome light will not turn off with all the doors shut. This happens whether or not the key is in the ignition. It does turn off after 45 minutes or so, so the Battery Saver Relay seems to be working.

2. The map lights will not function at all. The switches are receiving no power.

Since both these problems began at the same time, I'm guessing they're related. But what's the cause? I don't think it's door latch problems, because the door ajar light is not getting triggered on any door.

Could someone send me a wiring diagram for this year and model, from the factory service manual rather than, say, a Haynes manual? I found some others online from a Haynes manual, but they seemed to be from an earlier year, as they mention a Interior Lamp Relay, which doesn't seem present in my vehicle.

Thank you.

Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem like that. Except when I opened the driver door the dome light would never come on. It ended being the door light switch. Which has retractable pin it that over time would get stuck.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar problem like that. Except when I opened the driver door the dome light would never come on. It ended being the door light switch. Which has retractable pin it that over time would get stuck.

Hopefully this helps.
Thanks, but I don't think that's the problem, since (1) the door ajar lights are not turning on, and (2) the map lights are not working. They shouldn't be connected to the door switch, so I'm not sure why the door switch malfunction would cause them not to work.

That's why I'm hoping someone has a schematic diagram?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Sounds like the interior lamps relay has failed. 99-03 wiring diagrams are annoying to find at this point unless you buy a service manual and electrical manual on ebay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the interior lamps relay has failed. 99-03 wiring diagrams are annoying to find at this point unless you buy a service manual and electrical manual on ebay
Yes, I read about the interior lamp relay also. But I've looked, and I can't find any such relay in the vehicle. Where is it located?

I've seen diagrams from Haynes's manuals saying it's in the interior fuse box, but I've not found any such relay there. I wonder if those diagrams are from other years or something.

If it's there, I'd love to know where it's located.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
90 Posts
It might be worth a mention, did you increase the instrument cluster dimmer next to the headlamp switch to the maximum position? If you set it to the maximum position, it turns on the dome light.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Yes, I read about the interior lamp relay also. But I've looked, and I can't find any such relay in the vehicle. Where is it located?

I've seen diagrams from Haynes's manuals saying it's in the interior fuse box, but I've not found any such relay there. I wonder if those diagrams are from other years or something.

If it's there, I'd love to know where it's located.
I believe it's part of the non serviceable "smart junction box" assembly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It might be worth a mention, did you increase the instrument cluster dimmer next to the headlamp switch to the maximum position? If you set it to the maximum position, it turns on the dome light.
Yes, but the dome light is already on. The switch has no effect in turning it on or off. And anyway, the switch shouldn't affect the map lights, which won't turn on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts