Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allrighty guys and girls I have myself a problem with the transmission.

Here's what happens.

Car starts and idles just fine, Reverse works perfectly, however Drive is the problem. It is slow to engage first and does so with a noticable lurch.

When its cold it engages slowly and when starting off it give a pretty bad shudder, but it does it less if you just let the idle take it, it dosent shudder that bad.

As the transmission warms up it gets worse and worse. However once it gets into 2nd gear it drives perfectly fine. shifting thru the rest of the gears with no problem. reverse too is also just fine.

it gets so bad that if driven for a about 100 miles in highway or about 30min in the city the transmission will refuse to engage first at all, and will only do so if revved up high, even then it barely engages (i know its not a good thing to do that but it was an emergency to get out of the street)

it will then revert back to not-so-bad after the transmission has cooled down again.

I am going to get the trans fluid flushed first and see what happens.

any other ideas

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I guess the first question is have you checked the transmission fluid level? If it's not registering fluid on the dip stick that could cause all kinds of issues like this. Make sure the car is on (preferably warmed) and check the fluid levels. Be sure to check that there is a good amount of fluid near the cross hatch. It can be sometimes confusing since fluid can get on the stick as it moves in and out of the hole.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't just do a flush but get the filter changed as well.

You may have some sticking valves or leaky seals in the tranny.

You could try a little Auto-RX in it before you flush it to see if it can clean and free things up in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok my fluid is where it needs to be, i added some cause it was just a bit low, and it seemed that the lieel tbit that i did add helpedit out a little bit. so Im pretty convincedthat a complete transmission service to include a fluid flush and filter change will be a considerable implrovement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts