Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took the carinto town today and an hour or so later she called and said the car would barely go, it would sputter (she said) and then she would let off the gas and it would slowly build up speed, so I came home and took it for a drive, if you barely step on the gas it will slowly build up speed without shifting at all so I thinks its stuck in 3rd gear. When I step on the throttle it just falls flat on its face. I took it to a parts center and the read code that said epc, 1st, 2nd, 3rd solenoid open or shorted circuit. Did all these go bad at once or is it the epc causing all the problems? Is it a fairly easy fix from underneath?

·
Registered
211 Posts
My wife took the carinto town today and an hour or so later she called and said the car would barely go, it would sputter (she said) and then she would let off the gas and it would slowly build up speed, so I came home and took it for a drive, if you barely step on the gas it will slowly build up speed without shifting at all so I thinks its stuck in 3rd gear. When I step on the throttle it just falls flat on its face. I took it to a parts center and the read code that said epc, 1st, 2nd, 3rd solenoid open or shorted circuit. Did all these go bad at once or is it the epc causing all the problems? Is it a fairly easy fix from underneath?
sounds like the solenoids going out. I have heard of some bulls on here having that happening. To fix them you ll probably have to drop the trany, though i hear there is a way to do it with out dropping the trany from the car completely. is there any noises coming from the tranny? or any issues with the fluid?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no noises and fluid looks good. I cant imagine all going bad at once though. Some one said if the pressure solenoid goes out that that can cause all the solenoids to through a code?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to take it to a trans shop tomorrow to check it out, hope they are honest. This all happened when the wife went through the carwash, any chance of water causing a short circut?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Check all the electrical connectors aroung the engine/tranny to make sure they are fully engaged. Check any ground connections for tightness. Pay extra attention to the connector going into the tranny case at the top. It can fill with oil. You may want to open it up and inspect it. Clean with electrical contact cleaner if needed. Make sure the seal is good and put some dielectric grease on it to ensure it fits together properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check all the electrical connectors aroung the engine/tranny to make sure they are fully engaged. Check any ground connections for tightness. Pay extra attention to the connector going into the tranny case at the top. It can fill with oil. You may want to open it up and inspect it. Clean with electrical contact cleaner if needed. Make sure the seal is good and put some dielectric grease on it to ensure it fits together properly.
Yea, I will do that today, I did pull the connection off at the top of the bellhousing and it was nice and clean but am going to check all the connections including grounds, thanks

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I got all those solenoid failure codes once before. It was a bad VSS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Praise God from who all blessings flow! It was the transmission shift solenoid fuse under the hood, light is of and shifts perfect!! Ya Hoo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts