Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter on my 2002 Taurus with 3.0 OHV will engage but not turn. I had the battery checked and it needed replacing. Replaced battery and it still won't start. I attempted to remove the starter, but it appears to be blocked by the catalytic converter. Cannot remove from top or bottom. I am not a mechanic, but can do basic repairs. Has anyone had problems removing the starter, if so any suggestions on removing. Also, since I can't get the starter out to bench test, are there any other possible issues that can be causing this?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could be bad battery cables or a bad starter solenoid. As for removing the starter there are two bolts holding it to the transaxle housing. Once you remove them it should drop right out past the cat.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
First, try banging on the starter with a hammer. Often when the starter begins to wear out, the brushes will stick and cause it to not crank. Tapping it with a hammer can sometimes jar the brushes lose. If that doesn't work, get a big socket and ratchet on the crank pulley and make sure you can turn the engine by hand. Perhaps the starter works, but the engine is locked up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the same problem with my dads Dodge Dakota. Its most likley that the starter is just burnt out. If you use it alot (Turn off and start your car alot, Has alot of miles on it cars been around for awhile and well used) The starter can burn out. This is rare though.

First, check the connections from your battery to your starter, and even more important, check out the Ground cables connections. A bad ground can cause way more havoc then you know. If there is alot of corrosion between connections on either side (Positive or Negative) They can cause alot of resistance, which will bring the amps your battery is trying to deliver down.

When you turn the key, does the stater click? Or does it just do nothing. If It clicks, its most likley just the brushes inside the starter. If you can hit it with a hammer, and jar them free, works for me. If not, you might be able to buy a rebuild kit or even just a new starter.

If it doesn't click at all, Its most likley the solenoid is not engaging. I'm not sure on this one, but you might be able to buy just a new solenoid for it. If not, your looking at a whole new starter.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I recently replaced my starter. Banging on it did not help because my wires were shortened. I ended getting a new starter and some rewiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts