Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car about two weeks ago and we're getting to know each other. I found that on the rear stabilizer bar, the left connecting rod lower threads had snapped off and the connecting rod was just dangling there from the stabilizer bar itself. The connecting rods are easy to get, but I also noticed that the left mounting bracket for the stabilizer bar itself was broken. The metal around the bolt hole was stil around the bolt, but the rest of the bracket was just hanging from the tongue-in-slot point at the rear of the bracket.

Sparing you all the gory details, I got the runaraound from a couple of dealers before they finally agreed that the original replacement part is the entire assembly of bar, brackets and bushings since the bushings are banded in metal and welded to the brackets. They say I need Ford part number 2F1Z-5A772-AA, which is obsolete and discontinued by Ford, and NOBODY makes as an aftermarket part, and they tell me to start hunting the junk yards for. The integral questions seem to be that my car is NOT a station wagon and does have the 24 valve DOHC engine, and the door sticker date is 4/02, meaning it was made before some magic design change date in May of 2002.

I can't believe Ford made this as an entire assemble rather than brackets, bushings and bars that could be purchased, replaced or upgraded individually. I also can't believe that this configuration was so rare and reliable that they decided there is no market for a replacement part, nor has anyone else like MOOG.

I'm looking for any ideas about any other years or configurations that will work, or any aftermarket solutions anyone knows. I probably should have measured the bar thickness and posted that here too, but I'm not with the part right now. Maybe add that later. Thanks in advance.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
AFAIK there was no design change until halfway through the 2004 model year when they deleted the whole sway bar. May be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You'll love this.

The geniuses at blue oval welded the bracket to the bar, so your sway bar bushing is integrated. Helps on the assembly line, nice n fast. Doesn't help when it's time to remove/replace.

If you have a cut off wheel, you can slice off the stupid bracket, and reinstall with some new bushings. 99 and older tauruses/sables used separate brackets and bushings. I have some spare brackets for rear sway bars in my garage.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 2004 SES without a rear sway bar. Another genius idea, like putting the front vent air intake box directly at the bottom of the windshield in the hot sun and then making it out of black plastic.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
I have a 2004 SES without a rear sway bar. Another genius idea, like putting the front vent air intake box directly at the bottom of the windshield in the hot sun and then making it out of black plastic.
Yup, halfway through 2004 model they discontinued the sway bar. Why, FoMoCo, why!! Couldn't have cost that much! Sheesh..

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
Go get you a rear bar off an old SHO. (I got mine off an 89) Wire wheel and paint, replace bushings, and your car will feel like it's on rails compared to the stock configuration.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had a '98 that had a Duratec and both front and rear sway bars. I used it for my company vehicle. A distributor I had out of the Philly area had a brand new BMW 525i with all the hot stuff on it. I was taking him to dinner cruising down the highway deeply involved in a conversation when I realized I was way too late and way too fast for my exit. I took on the challenge anyway and pulled off the exit going way too fast, hugged the inside of the turn as I slowed down and that car didn't sway a bit. It hugged that curve as nicely as could be. My dealer friend looked at me with his eyes wide open and said..."I'm impressed!" As I said, he owned a BMW hot rod and if he was impressed, that was saying something.

The ride in this 2004 can't hold a candle to that 98.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hahahha.

Bob you should grab a rear bar for your 04 if you have the endlink mounting points on your struts. The bolt holes are in the body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, you are saying that I can cut off the bushings on 2002 rear stabilizer bar and replace them with 89 SHO parts and they will bolt right up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts