Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've had a bit of an issue with my Taurus.

I was out of town for about 5-6 weeks, come back a couple weeks ago and it won't start. Decided to swap out the starter and battery and check all grounds, all good right? Nope, still nothing.

Lights come on on dash, click from starter is heard, all wiring is correct but nothing.

I called up my mechanic to make a home visit and he said it's because of the anti-theft system, in his words "it sat for too long and doesn't recognize your key (only have one, it has an S on it)" and I'll need to get an auto-locksmith to take the keys, reprogram and everything.

My question is is this correct? I've literally never heard of this issue before and what should I do now?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Start by getting the battery properly charged and load tested. Many auto parts stores will do it for free. There's no point in doing anything else until the battery is proven good. (Not, "I charged it. It's a good battery. I just bought it," etc. It must be load tested.
You can load test it yourself if you have an ohm meter - there are instructions here and elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
^^^ Agree 100%

Battery quality has been going downhill for years. Over the last 20 years, I had one battery (Sears Diehard) fail after 3 days, and had another battey (I forget the brand) fail within a month.

Reactions: snosaint and sheila

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'll be checking the battery today, already had a locksmith come and he said there wasn't an issue with the anti-theft and said it's probably mechanical (and I ran a diagnostic and no codes are popping up), I'm gonna load test the battery and see what's up. This is nuts, nothing like paying for a "new" battery for it to be bunk right out of the box and end up with another problem.

I guess I was fairly incredulous to the locksmith issue, it sounds correct from what I read online but my mechanical knowledge extends very little beyond replacing tires/wheel bearings and things that are easily accessible. Anything car-computerized is definitely out of my knowledge and I could be very easily taken for a ride when it comes to PCM/anti-theft stuff.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is a "transmission range selector switch" (neutral safety switch) located on the top of transmission at the bellcrank that sometime fails. The ignition switch at the lower steering column is a very common failure item. I also have had bad starters right out of the box. Try jumping a wire from battery terminal on starter solenoid to the "start" terminal (small wire).

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Have you tried cranking it with the gear selector in neutral and / or jiggling the shifter in park and/or neutral while holding the key in RUN?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked battery, got codes checked, nothing yet so far. I might just be ready to scrap this thing at this point.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Checked battery, got codes checked, nothing yet so far. I might just be ready to scrap this thing at this point.
Frustration is a normal response. Try jumping battery to starter with jumper cables. Try connecting battery ground to engine block with jumper cable. YOU MAY HAVE PUT A DEFECTIVE STARTER ON. If you live in Michigan, I might be able to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sadly I live in illinois.
Already jumped battery, connected battery to engine block and tried two starters, so far nothing.
It's frustrating but I'm not going to keep pouring money into a 2 thousand dollar car, I'm trying to sell it as is for 1k and get it out of here, it was a good first car and I loved driving it but I was planning on getting rid of it this fall anyway.
I do appreciate the help but I just don't have the time/patience to pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sadly I live in illinois.
Already jumped battery, connected battery to engine block and tried two starters, so far nothing.
It's frustrating but I'm not going to keep pouring money into a 2 thousand dollar car, I'm trying to sell it as is for 1k and get it out of here, it was a good first car and I loved driving it but I was planning on getting rid of it this fall anyway.
I do appreciate the help but I just don't have the time/patience to pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into it.
You're confusing GUESSING with ACTUAL DIAGNOSIS to find the problem.
Lesson learned--stay AWAY from "my guessing mechanic" in the future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check battery terminals and bolt on the back of the alternator and the cable between the two, could also be the voltage regulator, is your battery light on?, if so you need a new alternator.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
With the starter removed and th key out of the ignition can you turn the flywheel with a small prybar or screwdriver?
When I worked the airport Hertz, we had a few Taurus that would not crank, flywheel bolts worked loose and locked up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're confusing GUESSING with ACTUAL DIAGNOSIS to find the problem.
Lesson learned--stay AWAY from "my guessing mechanic" in the future.
The battery/starter was the actual diagnosis of my mechanic, we put them both in and nothing, then second starter and nothing, checked all wires and did a bunch of tests.

I agree, lesson learned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts