Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I have a 2002 Taurus SEL with the 24 valve DOHC engine. I've had it since new, and it's been, for the most part, a good car. I has almost 200,000 km on it. We were on a roadtrip (about 5 hours) to Owen Sound awhile back and suddenly the car had no power. It couldn't even effectively climb a slight hill at 80km/h. It sounded like it was misfiring. I stopped, got out, and poked at the engine. I unbooted and rebooted each of the 3 spark plugs you can actually reach. After 2 or 3 minutes, I got back in and we resumed our trip and the car behaved normally. Since I was at 200k KM and this was the change interval for the spark plugs, I decided to start with them. My buddy's taurus (a 2001 SE) was able to change them with some U-jointed ratchets, but my 2002 doesn't have COP --- it has a coil pack which makes removing the pleanum necessary --- so I did. So I bought a set of the pleanum gasket just in case and did the repair. After replacing the spark plugs --- no real issues found there save the fact that all the old plugs were fairly worn, the car continued to misbehave. Now: the new pleanum gaskets had been a fair pain to repair and the car's behaviour tended towards a vacuum leak (-ish). So I removed the pleanum again a week later to find that one or more of the gaskets was askew... and that they didn't really fit. So I bought another set of gaskets from another parts place and they fit better. Got the pleanum back on, with all it's hoses and now... the problem has changed --- it runs very rough at idle and almost flawlessly at anything above idle. I've sprayed break cleaner all over the engine --- anywhere I think there could be a vacuum leak. No change in revs due to the cleaner. At this point it idles very roughly, it throws P1131 and 1151 at idle, but it drives well. It also backfires a bit at idle --- at least I think that's what the "pops" are. Help?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Check your vacuum hook-ups at the back of the plenum, esp. the rubber elbow the egr and fpr ( fuel pressure regulator/sensor) hard lines plug into.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your vacuum hook-ups at the back of the plenum, esp. the rubber elbow the egr and fpr ( fuel pressure regulator/sensor) hard lines plug into.
Are you talking the far (passenger side) of the pleanum? A little double hose double elbow? It's good. There's nothing that I can recall on back (aft facing) side of the pleanum. As for the EGR, are we talking about the elbow on top of a diaphram that is actuating the EGR valve? I tested the whole area with brake cleaner (to determine if the engine revved higher)... would this miss something like this?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Lower intake gaskets should have been changed along with the upper.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
ZBeeble, not on the pass. side, more on the drivers side top and mid back of the upper intake manifold (plenum). Should be several vac. conns. back there. Im talking where the small red and green hard vac. lines plug into the back of the manifold. They are coming off the egr and fpr/sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZBeeble, not on the pass. side, more on the drivers side top and mid back of the upper intake manifold (plenum). Should be several vac. conns. back there. Im talking where the small red and green hard vac. lines plug into the back of the manifold. They are coming off the egr and fpr/sensor.
Having been back there a number of times so far, I don't see any lines coming off there --- save one... which is near the driver's side of the pleanum and has an immediate soft elbow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lower intake gaskets should have been changed along with the upper.
How far down are these lower intake gaskets and how am I removing things to get to them? Also... it strikes me that I really didn't have to change the uppers as they were in good overall shape --- do the lowers deteriorate faster?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one more comment about it after having driven to work. When idling for some time (a minute or so) the smell of fuel enters the cabin. Does that change anyone's suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
went after the lower gaskets today. Took out the fuel rail on the way there. Any good hints and pointers on getting the injectors back in properly? Having problems :(

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
A light coat of oil on the injector O rings helps them slide in easier. Wiggling them also helps. Might also want to replace the O rings...... cheap at any parts store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts