Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2002 taurus and it made a horrible sucking sound and got worse gas milage than my suburban. I noticed the dpem was melted i looked behind it and the hoses were plastic welded on and had tons of holes in them. so I removed and plugged them. my EGR is the the round flat top type with a boot plug on top I am now ready to replace the dpem and run the egr to the ref side of the dpem, however is it the boot line I put in the ref side? and do I plug the top of the EGR or leave it open? what about the stuf on the bottom of the EGR just leave it alone??

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
^ Yes, the ref port. Wont fit over the larger hi port. The rest doesnt matter, as its disabled, though some have put a dummy piece of scrap vac. hose atop the valve and hid the open end out of sight. Or simply cap the valve port. Others have blocked the pipes with solid spacer plates. If youre replacing the dpfe (unless youre just putting on a cheap jy special for looks and something to connect to), why not get 2 new or used silicone sampling hoses and hook everything back up proper unless you have cat problems. If on a budget and/or $ is tight, you can prob. source everything you need from a self service salvage yard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sensor

I do have to buy a new sensor but know they are natorious for melting again in the near future. so I'm going to keep myself from ever buying one again. I thinki my egr valve might need work also. the only code I throw is for my 02 sensor but am finishing the egr bypass then replacing the 02 sensor. thank you for your reply I now have more confidence to get it finished, instead of hesitaing wondering if I have a clue...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts