Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this on behalf of a forum member...trying to help them out.

Car: 2002 Ford Taurus SES Sport, Duratec engine. Mileage: ~140,000 miles

Issue: Codes P0305 and P0316

The person's car has had new plugs (still on OEM wires), new coil pack, and a variety of unrelated suspension work. All done recently.

I am of the belief that at 140K, it's time for new wires if they haven't been done. Codes still exist after replacement of the above items. Car misfires at idle though (not while moving), once it has warmed up.

I read through this thread:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24935

Similar codes, but the issue for Toast happened at higher RPMs.

Searching Google picked up a couple threads for 2002s with the same allotment of codes, but no solution posted.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Could be wires, but they usually cause more issues under load or when wet, not at idle. Are they Ford or Autolite plugs? Also, has he tried swapping the fuel injector? That would be my next step - swap the injector from cylinder 5 to cyl 6, clear the code, and wait for it to come back. Check it again, and if the code is now P0306, then the injector is the problem. If it's still P0305, then check into wires or other items.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help Nidan. I'll pass the word along.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My money is on the wires. I have an 02 Sable with same issue. It was the wire. Note I had replaced the wires at 75K with MC. Now it has 130K with the same issue. #5 cylinder also. If remove the wire and put in back on, touch nothing else, the problem goes away for a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wires should be tested, not just replaced. Every wire has a set Ohm resistance value per inch. If they test good, then they are good. In my opinion this is an item often replace when not needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts