Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once a week the car doesn’t want to start (doesn’t crank), then after I let it sit for a minute or so and play with the key switch and the gear shift, it starts and starts every time until I have the problem again. When it is acting up and I try to turn it on, it sounds like there isn’t enough juice to kick it. Thought it might be a problem with the battery but it’s putting out 12.8 volts, sitting, with engine off. With the engine running, the alternator is taking it up to 13.8.

Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Mine has a similar problem where the starter motor doesn't even try to turn when I go to start it. I only started having a problem with this after my transmission was rebuilt. (It only happens every once in a while, not every day.)

It seems that the Transmission Range Sensor was not calibrated properly and my car doesn't believe that it is in park when I try to start it.

All I have to do is put my foot on the brake and push the shifter hard toward park so that it registers properly. It starts up fine after that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Tyler Swensen @ May 21 2010, 04:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=805911
Mine has a similar problem where the starter motor doesn't even try to turn when I go to start it. I only started having a problem with this after my transmission was rebuilt. (It only happens every once in a while, not every day.)

It seems that the Transmission Range Sensor was not calibrated properly and my car doesn't believe that it is in park when I try to start it.

All I have to do is put my foot on the brake and push the shifter hard toward park so that it registers properly. It starts up fine after that.[/b]
Thanks Tyler. Lets see if anyone else has any thoughts?

Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just went through this with my Taurus. The car would be a bit hesitant to start at first. Then it wouldn't kick over at all. The lights would dim & the chime sounded sickly when I turned the key and sometimes I couldn't even hear the starter solenoid click.

The battery checked out OK, holding 12.4 volts at rest.

Turned out to be a corroded positive battery cable. Cleaned it up real good & now the car starts without hesitation - every time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (TourDeForce @ May 22 2010, 12:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806069
I just went through this with my Taurus. The car would be a bit hesitant to start at first. Then it wouldn't kick over at all. The lights would dim & the chime sounded sickly when I turned the key and sometimes I couldn't even hear the starter solenoid click.

Turned out to be a corroded positive battery cable. Cleaned it up real good & now the car starts without hesitation - every time.[/b]
Here's what happened today! Pulled in for gas and when I went to re-start it wouldn't crank, like it did several times before. Fussed with the gear shift, key switch, tried jump starting but no dice. Called AAA and they sent an advance mechanic before the tow truck arrived. Right away guy said it was a frozen starter which happens frequently with the Taurus. He tried tapping it with a hammer while I tried to start it but it wouldn't go. So had to go for the new starter which runs $140 at Auto Zone. The guy charged me an arm and a leg to put it in. His actual working time was no more than 25 minutes so I should have had it towed home and done it myself. Such is life.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (wjob @ May 24 2010, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806539
QUOTE (TourDeForce @ May 22 2010, 12:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806069

Turned out to be a corroded positive battery cable. Cleaned it up real good & now the car starts without hesitation - every time.[/b]
Here's what happened today! Pulled in for gas and when I went to re-start it wouldn't crank, like it did several times before. Fussed with the gear shift, key switch, tried jump starting but no dice. Called AAA and they sent an advance mechanic before the tow truck arrived. Right away guy said it was a frozen starter which happens frequently with the Taurus. He tried tapping it with a hammer while I tried to start it but it wouldn't go. So had to go for the new starter which runs $140 at Auto Zone. The guy charged me an arm and a leg to put it in. His actual working time was no more than 25 minutes so I should have had it towed home and done it myself. Such is life.

Bill
[/b][/quote]

I think my starter just went out yesterday. I have it sitting in a wal-mart parking lot right now. When I turn the key over it just makes 1 click and wont turn over. Had this issue the past few weeks but if I dink around a bit and keep trying I could usually get it to start. This time it wont start. Checked the battery and the battery is fine so I'm assuming its the starter.

Just lost my job too so this could have came at better times. $150 for starter - $85 labor - Minimum $70 towing - OUCH thinking about changing it myself but I have only done minimal mechanic work =/

2005 Taurus 3.0 OHV
Less than 60,000 miles

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my starter just went out yesterday. I have it sitting in a wal-mart parking lot right now. When I turn the key over it just makes 1 click and wont turn over. Had this issue the past few weeks but if I dink around a bit and keep trying I could usually get it to start. This time it wont start. Checked the battery and the battery is fine so I'm assuming its the starter.

Just lost my job too so this could have came at better times. $150 for starter - $85 labor - Minimum $70 towing - OUCH thinking about changing it myself but I have only done minimal mechanic work =/

2005 Taurus 3.0 OHV
Less than 60,000 miles
[/quote]

It's not that hard to do...even with minimal experience, should be able to do it. Just be sure to remove the negative battery strap before you start and be sure to use a jack stand underneath in addition to your jack. Jack up the drivers side, shouldn't have to jack up the other side. Get yourself under there and give a good look around before you start. Make notes on where the wires go before you start to disconnect. When you go back in with the new one, you might have to move it around a little till the teeth mesh but you'll be able to feel that.

For what it's worth, here in my area I called around and found the electrical repair shops were offering rebuilds with a one year warranty for about $100, the least expensive install price I got from one of those shops was $45...might be the way to go. If you get to a good rebuild shop, their one year jobs should last a lot longer than that. Or, there is a remote possibility they could rebuild yours for less than $100.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the job search

Bill

·
Registered
833 Posts
You'd be amazed at how easy it is to rebuild it yourself. Replacement is cake, you don't have to be anywhere near a rocket scientist to figure it out - rocket scientists don't know **** about cars anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts