Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been having intermittent Problems with bucking under acceleration. Has been happening on an onramp to the Interstate at about 40 mph. if you lift and apply slowly you can slowly get up to speed Speed limit 60mph.

Now it also happens at the change less than a mile away for 60 to 70mph.

I drove it the other day first drive of the day getting on the interstate up to 75mph no problem. Later in the day bucking encountered.

Was informed that it stalled in traffic and had to be pushed out of way. Restarted a few minutes later. I was informed it stalled in a parking space 6 months ago and restarted a few minutes later.

My Ultragauge obdII reader show no codes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a 91 f150 that did this. It was rather scary as it would feel like the transmission was going to rip out of the under carriage lol. It turned out to be a bad PIP on the distributor. I know our 3.0s dont have distributors but i would start with the coil, wires and plugs ( like jag said) then the fuel delivery system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BWD coil installed 3 years ago. Will try water spray bottle mist.
Fuel filter replaced 2 years ago. Not sure how working cold vs hot lead to fuel filter?

Thanks for the input will forge on with these suggestions.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
I had a 91 f150 that did this. It was rather scary as it would feel like the transmission was going to rip out of the under carriage lol. It turned out to be a bad PIP on the distributor. I know our 3.0s dont have distributors but i would start with the coil, wires and plugs ( like jag said) then the fuel delivery system.

Had the Hall effect system fail on '85 LTD and ran but in some horrible way until it got home then would not start again.
As to misfire, Son had F150 with the inline 6, 300ci with OBDII so coilpack but that engine ran the engine as one unit while most Ford V-6 operate as two 3 cylinder units. Son's with 5 speed manual and a bad plug wire would misfire under power and then ran awful for a couple seconds and recover then miss again. Wires were new but one was open. Very easy engine to do wires, plugs and such. Theory, misfire makes for a false lean so the engine richens up then quickly leans it back to correct and lean makes misfire happen again.
I have had misfires on Bulls and it is a pain. Coilpack is a weak link in the system.

-chart-

·
Registered
31 Posts
BWD coil installed 3 years ago. Will try water spray bottle mist.
Fuel filter replaced 2 years ago. Not sure how working cold vs hot lead to fuel filter?

Thanks for the input will forge on with these suggestions.

I immediately wondered about fuel system too, as hot weather can mean vaporlock especially when hot soaking. I had rough running issues the past year and a half in the heat. Weak fuel pump was diagnosed with a fuel pressure and volume tester (which is super easy to do with the schrader valve on my fuel line). The tester is loanable, though the deposit is over $100. The other piece of the puzzle I just realized in March was my alternator dying and producing undue load at idle and low speeds.

Now in your case it's for acceleration, but there again, if you had a weak pump or a constriction of fuel delivery somewhere, that could maybe be a cause.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts