Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this car in dec 2010. Right away I had problem with the heat- it Would not come on. Took it back to the dealer and his mechanic said he replaced the heater coil. Heat was now working.

A month later I began having problems with the temp gauge going up the max. Since then I've replaced the water pump, cooling fan and various temp sensors.

The car runs fine while it's "running hot".

After running ok for the past 2 weeks the gauge maxed out again.

My mechanic tells me the car is not running hot because he took the temp of the engine while the gauge was maxed and the engine was not hot.

so it appears to be an electrical or mechanical problem.

Does anyone have any input on this?

regards,

tony

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tony, I see you posted about your overheating problem on my post, no problem. If I were you I would be installing a mechanical water temp gauge post haste, that means yesterday. If you run around with an overheated engine expect to replace the head gaskets or engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tony, I see you posted about your overheating problem on my post, no problem. If I were you I would be installing a mechanical water temp gauge post haste, that means yesterday. If you run around with an overheated engine expect to replace the head gaskets or engine.
hook a scan tool up in the OBD port. There is a second temperature probe for the engine management.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Udate

So after replacing the waterpump, themastat and all the engine temp sensors - the car is running fine..

It has redlined on on occasions when the weather is hot and I'm stuck in traffic but that's the nature of the beast and I can live without thiss

Tony
Bought this car in dec 2010. Right away I had problem with the heat- it Would not come on. Took it back to the dealer and his mechanic said he replaced the heater coil. Heat was now working.

A month later I began having problems with the temp gauge going up the max. Since then I've replaced the water pump, cooling fan and various temp sensors.

My mechanic tells me the car is not running hot because he took the temp of the engine while the gauge was maxed and the engine was not hot.

regards,

tony

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Temps Etc

regards,

tony
One way to tell what is going on temp or other things is CarChip.

Pic of one of it's recordings.

Just plug it is, can record voltage, temp, fuel trims and on and on. This cheap one has only 5 channels at a time.

Example in pic. That is what I would expect from mine, no matter what the temp outside. The rough idea gage on the dash has no temperatures on it for a reason. It is half a step above an idiot light.

-chart-

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts