Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I need your HELP. Long ago when I had my car aligned for the first time, the auto shop told me I needed some type of mounting adapter since it was so far out of alignment. The darn part was pretty pricey for all it is, a plate with three nuts and bolts holding it to the top of the strut. Now my question is this .. since I am replacing the whole strut and spring because the spring broke, do I need to put this piece on the new strut? I'm not sure if I needed it because the original struts were whatever, or if the car was built odd. I would sure appreciate the help. You can see a pic of the part I am talking about at www.oreillyauto.com, Specialty Products - Strut Mount, part #89635. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Geo.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
No, should not be needed with a new strut on a stock install.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
I would go with monroe quickstruts (strut mount, strut and spring all incl.). But if youre itemizing, i would replace all 3 components.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If the alignment problem was negative camber (tire wear on the insides), is was likely either because the springs were bad or because of some damage from an accident.

If it was due to weak springs, the new springs should bring it back into alignment.

If that doesn't do it, a good shop would be able to drill out the spot welds and move the top plate to bring it into, if not closer to spec. The camber plates don't seem to have enough adjustment to warrant the cost in my opinion.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
^+1 on drilling the spot welds if necessary. My gen3s have never needed this done, but all 5 of the gen2s required it. Either ford got it right in 96+, or my alignment bud got lazy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
strut replace

I appreciate everyone's advice. I guess what I don't understand is why they were needed in the first place. I mean if the car was aligned at the factory, why couldn't it be aligned again without additional parts.

I already have the parts, used of course from the old struts, I just wasn't sure if I should put them on while the struts were off. I'd sure hate to go through all this again. I got a Ford Manual from the library and was following it .. boy, do they ever add a whole lot of unnecessary steps.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
Geo.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I totally misread your original post. sorry.

As to why it couldn't be aligned.. assuming it is/was the camber that's off- there is no camber "adjustment" on these cars.The top plates are spot welded to the strut-towers. So, if you needed a camber adjustment, for whatever reason, you either had to have those plates installed, or, the shop would have had to cut the spot welds to get it into spec.

Were the original top plates on the tower removed in order to install those plates? If so, then I'd say you have to reinstall them and you'll need an alignment once you're done because the camber will be too positive.

If the original top plates are still there, then it's your call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nytaurusabuser, from your recent reply I am getting the feeling it will not hurt anything to add the plates to my new struts. I just don't want to not do it and then learn I should have. I did read in many publications about drilling the spot welds when an alignment was done, and it threw me why it wasn't. Now I understand, they added the plates. I think I am going to go ahead and just add the old plates to the new struts with new fasteners of course. I would almost bet I would need them again over not needing them.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I appreciate it greatly.
Geo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts