Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the GF's Sable like to lurch forward a bit on its own when in gear & brakes applied. Not a huge amount & doesn't do it all the time, but any is too much.

It also idles rough sometimes.

I changed the plugs & fuel filter. No change. Maybe the wires need to be replaced too. It has 125k miles on it.

Ideas?

Also, it's dark gray. Anyone know what the paint code would be? DSG maybe? The door jam sticker is toast.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
what are the rpms doing when this happens? yes wires should be changed when you do the plugs. have you checked for a vac leak? any codes popping up?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are the rpms doing when this happens? yes wires should be changed when you do the plugs. have you checked for a vac leak? any codes popping up?
It's not tossing any codes. Sometimes the RPMs barely move & sometimes they bounce around a a couple hundred or so.

I haven't checked for any vac leaks.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a couple of things come to mind. cam shaft sensor starting to go, bad wires, egr getting clogged maybe a fuel issue. i would start by looking for a leak in the vac system. starting fluid is good a fog machine is the best way. then test the egr, if you dont know how let me know i will explain, also the wires are old ( guessing original ) i would change them out before they become a problem. if it is the egr there is an aftermarket part that is better then original, imo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a couple of things come to mind. cam shaft sensor starting to go, bad wires, egr getting clogged maybe a fuel issue. i would start by looking for a leak in the vac system. starting fluid is good a fog machine is the best way. then test the egr, if you dont know how let me know i will explain, also the wires are old ( guessing original ) i would change them out before they become a problem. if it is the egr there is an aftermarket part that is better then original, imo.
I've done a lot of car stuff, but never had to test an EGR, just replace them. Fill me in on the test. :)

I told her the wires need to be done. car also needs a wheel bearing as it's been whining...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i bookmark a lot of links. its easier then me typing them all out. and possibly forgetting a step. this is how you test it

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The paint color could be Dark Shadow Gray, but be careful. My 2002 Taurus looks gray so I bought some touch-up paint in shadow gray after looking over the list of paint colors. I started to put some on and it looked black compared to the car.

THEN, I checked the paint code on the sticker and it was, to my shock...Spruce Green Metallic!

If it's a realy dark gray, get the Dark Shadow Gray paint. If it's a lighter/medium gray, get the Spruce Green Metallic. :D

Still looks gray to me, but I do notice the green flakes now.

Spruce Green Metallic:

Dark Shadow Gray:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I was thinking bad motor / transmission mounts could cause the appearence of a bad idle and also cause the "jerk" when coming to a stop, You might want to check the mounts and get back to us.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I was thinking bad motor / transmission mounts could cause the appearence of a bad idle and also cause the "jerk" when coming to a stop, You might want to check the mounts and get back to us.
YES!!!!!! if you do not know how to check the mounts let us know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Checked EGR & it's good. car is definitely dark gray. I was thinking DSG, but wanted to be sure. Anyone know what the paint code is for DSG?

I took a look at the dog bone mount & it looks dried out & is a little cracked, but doesn't look severe. Going to pick up new plug wires today.

On top of this crap, the driver wheel bearing is getting noisy & the trans slips.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Look on the driver door end sticker for the paint code.............Nevermind, i see yours is missing. Might check the duplicolor website or google: 2002 mercury sable paint codes or 2002 ford taurus paint codes. Or paintmatch.com.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
did you check your motor mounts ? they can transfer vibration to the chassis if they are bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts