Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the posts that cover the pump shaft failures, but I have one question. Could a bad EPC Solenoid cause no oil flow as well, and, if the shaft is broken, does it damage the TC?
I know it depends on how and where the shaft failure is but with my particular problem, It drove to work OK but it wouldn't move to come home. I had noticed a soft 1 2 and 2 3 days before, but this is the wifes car and I don't drive it very often. The shift points seemed right by the tach, just real soft. It never missed a shift point though. Low pressure could cause this thus my question about the EPC.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
EPC is designed so in the event of failure or no electrical PWM signal to it, it defaults to full line pressure giving very harsh shifts. I suppose it is possible, but VERY unlikely, to fail the other way (very low to zero line pressure), but I have never heard of such a thing happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fluid is full ,transparent,red with no out of the ordinary smell. There is no fwd or rev. Soooooo, it looks like a pump failure unless the EPC is stuck. My last question, is there anyway to see if the TC is turning and that the shaft,at least the front part of it, is turning? RR drive trans have an inspection plate that you can view the TC from.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
TC is bolted directly to the flex plate which is bolted to the crankshaft. If the engine is turning, the TC itself (the shell of the TC at least) is turning unless a bunch of bolts have sheared off or the flex plate itself has cracked comletely. Both of those are ultra ultra unlikely unless you have one of those rare 1800 HP Duratecs under the hood. Pump, shaft and valve body can be accessed without removing tranny. TC requires removing tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
one more weak link in the AX4N chain of weaknesses

I read that one. too much romance for me, it's 20 deg outside and the garage is full with my 67 mustang, and nothing and now-one gets near that my mustang, so my solution was the have the dealer install a certified factory rebuild AX4N. 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty and be done with it. From the pictures I found on this site, it looks like the pump body is white metal and when a vane brakes off, it jams the pump and thats all she wrote.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts