Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started throwing 2 codes, a P1400 and P0401. Told they indicate EGR problem. Suggested I replace EGR Sensor plus remove and clean EGR Valve. Looks pretty tight behind intake to do this? Should mention that plugs, wires and coil pack recently replaced. Roughness gradually seems to be getting worse, not bad at highway speeds.

Thoughts/suggestions please.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Your DPFE sensor needs to be replaced, the P1400 and the P0401 are common when the DPFE sensor fails.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Haynes manual and other sources indicate that there are two fasteners holding the DPFE in place but I don’t see them on mine? Mine appears to be held in place by the two rigid pipes (lowest point), which the two rubber hoses slip on to, then the black plastic sensor which pushes down into the upper end of each hose?

The replacement BWD sensor which I just bought at Advanced Auto is a EGR631. It has no holes for mounting, it is a black plastic part with a three pin male electrical connection at the rear and two plastic tubes (one slightly larger than the other), inch long, which must slide down into the two rubber hoses.

Appears that easiest way to change the DPFE is to remove the wiper arms, then the cowl? Anybody have any details on the proper way to remove the cowl? If I have to go further and clean out the EGR Valve, can I do this with just the cowl removed or does the IM need to come off?

thanks

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
You cant access the dpfe to unplug and disconnect the 2 hoses without removing anything? Fwiw, you have the correct part#.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
The Haynes manual and other sources indicate that there are two fasteners holding the DPFE in place but I don’t see them on mine? Mine appears to be held in place by the two rigid pipes (lowest point), which the two rubber hoses slip on to, then the black plastic sensor which pushes down into the upper end of each hose?

The replacement BWD sensor which I just bought at Advanced Auto is a EGR631. It has no holes for mounting, it is a black plastic part with a three pin male electrical connection at the rear and two plastic tubes (one slightly larger than the other), inch long, which must slide down into the two rubber hoses.

Appears that easiest way to change the DPFE is to remove the wiper arms, then the cowl? Anybody have any details on the proper way to remove the cowl? If I have to go further and clean out the EGR Valve, can I do this with just the cowl removed or does the IM need to come off?

thanks
" Mine appears to be held in place by the two rigid pipes"

OK likely the style that my '01 has.
See pic.

Easy to replace, just sits on the hoses.

My '03 has it bolted to the head and longer hoses around to less easy to reach places. It works fine but my '01 I replaced with a used from pick a part. Not had a cel light since. (excess egr flow) When getting one from the JY I saw the two types. Since it was half price day, I got one of each as I have two using the bolt on types, and one 'on pipe' type.

-chart-

-chart-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.! Mine is exactly like your photo chartmaker. When I looked at mine seemed like it would be pretty tight for my big hands but I’ll give it a shot without removing anything.

However for future reference, would like to learn how to remove the cowl and what would have to come off, the cowl or the IM, to work on, or replace the EGR valve?

thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Look under Spark plug replacement in the topic finder :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info.! Mine is exactly like your photo chartmaker. When I looked at mine seemed like it would be pretty tight for my big hands but I’ll give it a shot without removing anything.

However for future reference, would like to learn how to remove the cowl and what would have to come off, the cowl or the IM, to work on, or replace the EGR valve?
Meant to also ask what's the procedure to release the electrical connector on the DPFE?

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Meant to also ask what's the procedure to release the electrical connector on the DPFE?
See pic. It is unusual for Ford, it is a push pad away from the DPFE.

When I got mine from the JY, I got the connector. So I had hands on instructions.:p

They usually require two screw drivers and 3 hand and a pry bar.
This one is easy. If you can get your hand in there.

-chart-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much Chart.

Don't see anything on this site that describes the steps in removing the cowl nor any suggestion on what should be removed, the cowl or the UIM, to best work on/replace the EGR valve?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts