Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Excess plug gap adds load to the coil. Wider the gap, the higher volts before the spark. Makes the coil get hotter and increases the chance the spark jumps somewhere other than the plug. With double platinum chips the gap remains constant until the ultra thin chip wears out the gap then grows quickly as you have soft backing material. Good platinums should last 100K before the platinum wears out. The rear plugs go first on a coilpack system. That is the reverse polarity side. Only Ford knows why. COPS should last much longer since only half as many sparks per mile, and no reverse polarity. PIC of DOHC plugs over 100K and you can see the back bank plug is loosing it's center electrode as the plat chip is gone. Rear gap open about 0.012" and front gap still factory.
-chart-
thanks for the detail! I was wondering which plugs to go with, so this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had a similar glowing cat issue on my 01 DOHC wagon last summer while running down a misfire. Turned out to be a intake manifold gasket. I guess I didn't get them back in right after replacing the coil pack. Once I put new gaskets on, she's been running just fine. Of course I spent lots of time checking everything else first, because I had just put that all back together and that couldn't have been it!
Mine does look like it was leaking a bit of oil so i'll most likely do that while I have the manifold off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys, my 02 sable has been acting jumpy and low on power. I pulled over while driving it recently and noticed the rear bank of the engine's cat was glowing red. I can feel the exhaust out of the tailpipe but i'm not sure thats conclusive of anything. Its for sure low on power and I have codes p0301 p0316 and p0305 all relating to a misfire. Mainly i'm just looking for an opinion on the situation. I know I can take the cats off and run some light through them to check but its all rusted and looks like doing that would take about a year off my life lol. Another thing is that while I was doing some other maintenance I accidentally cracked the little plastic guide piece for the cruise control cable. So anytime I got the rpms passed 2500rpm it would get stuck and i'd have to lay on the brakes to get the car to sit still so I can turn it off and unlodge the cable. After about a month or two of driving like that I had a moment of lucidity and realized I could just unhook the cable. Can anybody confirm my suspicions because i'd be annoyed to take it off and realize they are fine. I was told the unmonitored third cat is not likely to go bad but the warm up cats do. Does anybody know any places or websites where I can find the best priced converters for my 02 sable? Maybe I should change my fuel filter while i'm at it just in case. PS: I bought the car secondhand and there was a ton of receipts of work getting done but I don't see any for cats/exhaust. Car has 145k on it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys, my 02 sable has been acting jumpy and low on power. I pulled over while driving it recently and noticed the rear bank of the engine's cat was glowing red. I can feel the exhaust out of the tailpipe but i'm not sure thats conclusive of anything. Its for sure low on power and I have codes p0301 p0316 and p0305 all relating to a misfire. Mainly i'm just looking for an opinion on the situation. I know I can take the cats off and run some light through them to check but its all rusted and looks like doing that would take about a year off my life lol. Another thing is that while I was doing some other maintenance I accidentally cracked the little plastic guide piece for the cruise control cable. So anytime I got the rpms passed 2500rpm it would get stuck and i'd have to lay on the brakes to get the car to sit still so I can turn it off and unlodge the cable. After about a month or two of driving like that I had a moment of lucidity and realized I could just unhook the cable. Can anybody confirm my suspicions because i'd be annoyed to take it off and realize they are fine. I was told the unmonitored third cat is not likely to go bad but the warm up cats do. Does anybody know any places or websites where I can find the best priced converters for my 02 sable? Maybe I should change my fuel filter while i'm at it just in case. PS: I bought the car secondhand and there was a ton of receipts of work getting done but I don't see any for cats/exhaust. Car has 145k on it. Any help is appreciated.
Had almost the same problem,but my cat convertor did not turn red..it had bank problems like you. so I replaced the cat convertor and everything was great.....If you buy a cat convertor go to Rockauto.com and you will find a cat convertor at a good price. Try and buy one from (Eastern catalytic convertor ) like I did,it was a perfect direct fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Question for anyone who may be able to help. The car ended up sitting for a while because I had other cars to drive but I want to get it back into running order to sell now. Of course, when I went to install my new ignition coil I could not find the original bolts for them. I know I put them somewhere but apparently I hid them too well. Does anyone know what size these bolts are? Better yet...maybe a link to them? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Question for anyone who may be able to help. The car ended up sitting for a while because I had other cars to drive but I want to get it back into running order to sell now. Of course, when I went to install my new ignition coil I could not find the original bolts for them. I know I put them somewhere but apparently I hid them too well. Does anyone know what size these bolts are? Better yet...maybe a link to them? Thanks everyone!
The bolts are 6 mm with 1.0 mm pitch. Available at Lowes. Length as needed, measure and note: OE has a flange on the head, you likely need flat washers.
I know because: I took the air dam off and when I went to put it back, bolts lost. So I went to Lowes and bought replacements and washers. When I went to install, I found the OE bolts screwed into the frame. So I reused those and now have the spares where I can find them. Maybe. Same bolts used in many places on Bulls, length may vary.
-chart-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I messed up guys. Putting one of the upper intake manifold bolts in and it snapped. I swear I wasn't going crazy tight but the car is just a rusty piece of crap. The issue i'm having is that the bolt broke so that the part that broke was not flat. Its like high on one side of the bolt and low on the other so when I go to try to use an easy out or a drill it just slides off and I end up drilling into that gold colored metal, likely aluminum? Not sure. But what's my best bet? I already did a bit of damage to that gold part but I don't think that will be much of an issue if I just slap a washer over it before I put a new bolt in. I will most likely need to tap new threads but I cant get the actual bolt shaved down, just around it. :mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the manifold on but now i'm curious, this fuel hose...is it supposed to be able to slide like this? It doesn't seem to want to come off, I didn't pull too hard though. But I would think a fuel line should be more secured? Unless its an intentional design. I'm just trying to track down a rough idle which I think was a torn crankcase breathe but during my investigation I noticed this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
another quick question, under my steering wheel there is a ticking, with the car off. AC or heater blender actuator going bad or something? Sounds like a bomb is going to go off lol

21 - 30 of 30 Posts