Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to Taurus Club, and I have a problem. I have a 2002 Ford Taurus, and what is going on is the odometer tachometer and speedometer only work sometimes. I do not know anything about cars, so I would need things explained to me, I couldn't make sense of some of the posts I could find about this issue. When I'm driving, sometimes I notice the tachometer and speedometer jump for a second, then go back to zero. Sometimes I can turn the car off and back on and it will be working, other days you can turn it off and on twenty times and it still will not work. Sometimes It will start working after driving for a few seconds other days you can drive it all day long and it will not work once. Cruise control is not affected by this, I can use the speedometer on my phone and set cruise at 30mph and it stays there just fine. All other indicators and lights in the instrument panel work including the high beam light which I read on another post was on the same fuse. I read another post about this but it was a 03 Taurus and I didn't know if there was a difference or not but there was no solution on there either. I try taking the fuse out and putting it back in and it has the same result sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My issue is pretty similar except my car is a 02 and my speedometer and tachometer sometimes jump while I am driving like they are getting power for a second and then losing it again and going back to zero. Is this a bad wire? It doesn't sound like it could be a sensor because cruise control is able to maintain perfect speed wherever you set it, and the engine and transmission are 100% not affected by this issue. I am afraid buying a new instrument cluster will end up causing me the same problem if it has to be hooked up to the same wiring my current one uses, so if anybody can help me, let me know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a 2003 SES Vulcan that is doing the same thing, except I haven't noticed mine jumping while I'm driving down the road. I'll be reading on this post as well in case someone posts some suggestions. In the mean time just in case you haven't, check out the similar post I have made regarding my same issue, there are some diagrams on there as well as some useful information. It hasn't solved my issue but maybe it will yours. Good luck and welcome to the Taurus Club. :D

·
Registered
572 Posts
Possibly a loose or dirty instrument cluster contact. I would disconnect the battery, remove the cluster, unplug the wire harness and clean the electrical contacts with some rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anything happen if you smack your car? (joking)

So I second redhousenine.

I notice you said you don't know anything about cars though.

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable - you will need an 8mm box wrench. Loosen the bolt on the negative battery terminal (the black one, or the one with a minus sign).

2) Follow this well written guide on removing the gauge cluster - it should be about the same for your car I would imagine: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/116-aesthetics-interior-wheels-tires/134095-gen-4-dash-cluster-removal.html

3) With your high percentage RUBBING alcohol handy (I said high percentage meaning it's a good idea to use 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol) clean the gold contacts on all of the connectors on the instrument cluster. Give it ample time to dry out. Then reconnect it all in reverse.

4) While you're in there look around a bit for frayed, cut, loose, broken, etc... wires/connectors

5) Put it back together. Or if you feel confident just reconnect all of the wires and don't put it back together just yet. It may save you a bit of time/effort to test it before completely re-assembling.

6) Reconnect your battery cable, make sure you don't have any loose wires touching inside the cabin first though wouldn't want any shorts!
6a) While you're doing this consider buying some Noco NCP-2 - it's an anti corrosive that you can pick up in small spray bottles at wal-mart very cheaply, sprays on RED in color. Put this on you battery terminals and cables. Put it on your alternator electrical connector too! Maybe I should have put this at the top of the post. But I want to make sure you read all the instructions first!

7) Test your instrument cluster.

8) Put it all back together if you opted to leave it in pieces.

9) Report your results back here. This is the most important part!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
rhyvun
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing