Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Ford Taurus
3.0L OHV V6 - AX4N Vulcan

Only happens then the car is first started up during the day. I am not sure what gear it is shifting into but I am going about 20mph when it goes out.

It seems to shift into neutral. Moving the drive selector from Overdrive to Drive will shift it into gear again but it may go out again even while in Drive. Usually the only way to get the transmission to re engage again is either slowing the car to 10mph or moving the drive selector back and forth between Overdrive and Drive until it finally decides to stick.

Once the car has been driven about 3 miles, I usually do not have any problems. The transmission also shifts quite nicely. I have experienced a shudder with the transmission but only once or twice.

Any suggestions? Could it be a sensor? If so, which one? There is no check engine light. I just had it in a transmission shop for other types of repairs and they said that the transmission was in decent mechanical condition (whatever that means) But I know they only drove it once it was warm.

Thank you so much for you help!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sounds like a Fluid level problem, Have you checked the fluid ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not checked it in a few weeks but it has been doing this for quite sometime, and I have checked the fluid during that time.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Did you check it on a level surface with the engine running, in park, with the car up to temp, after the selector has been in each position for at least 2 seconds?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Try to drive it in "2" in the morning. If shifts all the way to "D", you have the neutral safety switch (transmission range sensor) bad. Watch out, when it "warms up" it will shift on "2" by itself - if you are doing 60mph at that point you will feel a horrible jerk and very high rpm's.

I drove mine like that for a year (in winter was worse), waiting the transmission to die on me, until I figured that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments.
Yes, It has been checked in the proper manner. I checked it again today. It read fine to maybe a little more than needed. Could it possibly have too much fluid?

@SoNic67 - My car only has 1, Drive, and Overdrive. I am not quite following what you said in your post.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.