Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 2002 ford taurus se single ovehead cam engine with the AX4N transmission with 112,000 miles on it. Lately when i drive on the highway and give it gas and bring th rpm's up to 3000 its feels like the tranny is skipping while its trying to bring me up to speed faster. When i punch it the car rocks back and forth because the transmission is trying to downgear and help me speed up. Many say it can be the transmission speed sensor or the range sensor. I cant figure out the problem. Can someone please give me feedback as quick as possible. Thanks CJ

·
Registered
374 Posts
Output speed sensor is usually the culprit (Have fun replacing it :rolleyes2: ), but check the color/condition of the fluid. Burnt/worn fluid will also give the same situation.

At work we have a fleet of 14 Ford Rangers, oldest one is a 2007 model, recently two of them starting have the OD light flashing and some rough engagement. A "professional" shop said the torque converters were failing and tried to sell us new transmissions. Reviewing their service records, both showed to have transmission flushes done less than 30,000 miles ago, but the fluid in both was motor oil black and smelled burnt. So I flushed them out myself, now 13,000 miles later, no more flashing OD light and smooth engagement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the tranny fluid is pink and doesnt smell burnt at all. And it doesnt seem to be misfiring at all but i could be wrong. But i will check into the output speed sensor. Do you know where that is located off the top of ur head so i can hopefully tackle this job quickly. I did think about flushing the tranny and replacing the filter, but at 112,000 i dont know if its smart. do you think i should? the tranny did have a seal leak and was fixed at the ford dealership so.. not sure. Please let me know thanks, CJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, I finally found out why my tranny was acting weird. It was the transmission position sensor on the driver side by the cv axle. It was full of metal and stuff when i had removed it. Went down to napa and got me a new one and slaped it in. Took my taurus for a run on the highway and shifts perfect and has power. But thanks alot to all of you who suggested anything that it could have been. I appreciate it. CJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts